Kia Ora from New Zealand

Brian.NZ

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post. A brief bit of background info before I go any further. I’m a 50 year old self taught guitar ‘strummer’ (can’t pick at all) and in my lifetime I’ve had infrequent personal contact with the ukulele. In other words, I can’t play the ukulele. After deliberating for some time now I decided to take the plunge and self-learn the ukulele … and I’m glad I did.

Although new to the Ukulele Underground forum, I have been watching (lurking?) the posts and the UU website for the past few weeks. This is a great site, with useful and friendly information from the members. As a result, I’ve had the pleasure of purchasing my first ukulele through Musicguymic, who was highly recommended through posts by a number of the UU forum members.

My new Ukulele (Kanile'a – K1 Tenor DLX) arrived from Musicguymic in safe and in pristine condition a few days ago. I’m absolutely delighted with this beautiful instrument and already I’ve had a great deal of enjoyment every day, learning heaps and attempting to make the transition from guitar to ukulele.

Considering that I am in New Zealand, Musicguymic made the whole experience of purchasing my first ukulele such a pleasant one including:
  • Strongly advising me (as a learner) not to purchase a slightly more expensive 6 string ukulele that he had for sale on eBay and to focus on a four string instead. This demonstrates that he has ethics, considers his customers needs and is not out to simply make a quick buck;
  • Providing prompt, friendly contact including calling me here in NZ when he was away from his base in Hawaii attending the Denver Ukefest;
  • Sourcing the perfect ukulele to match my requested specs, within budget, with photos and within his projected timeframe upon returning to Hawaii;
  • Being prepared to negotiate a mutually acceptable price;
  • Ensuring that the ukulele set-up is perfect – nice action, no buzzing;
  • Packing the ukulele properly to withstand the travel to NZ without any damage whatsoever. The case provided is excellent;
  • Providing all of the necessary documentation to keep the NZ Customs people happy;
  • Providing a free humidifier and tuner.
As a very happy new customer, it’s no surprise at all to me that Musicguymic sells so many ukuleles worldwide. He is a businessman who can be trusted and I strongly recommend him to other members looking to purchase anything ukulele related.

I also extend a big thanks to Ken Middleton for his YouTube review (and recommendation) on the Kanile'a K1-Tenor. That particular review was critical to my decision to purchase the K1-T.

Regards,

Brian

Welcome to the forum. I looked up at the kanilea and saw your uke model, congratulations-one nice looking instrument.

Welcome to the Underground Brian!

Hello Brian,

Welcome to UU - as a new member and also new to ukulele I have found this site an invaluable resource of knowledge and many friendly members willing to give advice and suggestions. I have also come from the acoustic guitar world as a picker and strummer but have never seriously played on a uke except the occasional cheap plastic versions. I recently purchased a Kala from Musicguymic and he was a pleasure to deal with.

Please post some pictures of your uke as I have seen the images on Kanile'a website and they have some beautiful looking koa!

Aloha~*

kia ora bro..u got a beautiful uke from a great guy..hope you have years of fun with that bad boy!

no worries, have fun playing, there is a great ukulele shop in wellington, called alistairs ,if you can find it. directions are on the wellington international ukulele orchestra website. (just in case your fine new uke just isn't enough:))

no worries, have fun playing, there is a great ukulele shop in wellington, called alistairs ,if you can find it. directions are on the wellington international ukulele orchestra website. (just in case your fine new uke just isn't enough:))

Right on Cliff - Alistair's Music on Cuba Street has the best range out of the limited ukulele selection choice here in Wellie and they're friendly too!

Hello Brian,

Please post some pictures of your uke as I have seen the images on Kanile'a website and they have some beautiful looking koa!

Aloha~*

The Koa is beautiful. Here's some of the pictures of the actual ukulele provided by Musicguymic.

Attachments

• 064.jpg
    064.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 061.jpg
    061.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 063.jpg
    063.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 060.jpg
    060.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 066.jpg
    066.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 3
The Koa is beautiful. Here's some of the pictures of the actual ukulele provided by Musicguymic.

Brian,

You have a wonderful looking instrument. Let us know how it sings once you get to play awhile.

Aloha~*

Aloha Brian, welcome to UU, send us a video when you're ready. Kanilea ukuleles are sweet. Excellent purchase. Musicguymic is a member here and is highly respected. Have fun.

Welcome to the UU!
Nice instrument.

Top Bottom