Stagg solid body electric ukulele

I want to pick one up - three questions though.

1. What's the best price you guys have found with a roland microcube?
2. What strings does the Stagg come with?
3. If the strings are bad, what scale should I buy them in? Concert?

Thanks. I'm looking to spend ~200 on all of this put together.

I want to pick one up - three questions though.

1. What's the best price you guys have found with a roland microcube?
2. What strings does the Stagg come with?
3. If the strings are bad, what scale should I buy them in? Concert?

Thanks. I'm looking to spend ~200 on all of this put together.

to stay under 200 total, you're going to need to go used for the microcube. I managed to find the uke for a little over 120 and the amp (new) for about 90 shipped, both on ebay. The stock strings are GHS, and they're pretty bad, so you'll want to switch them out for concert scale strings, so tack on another 5-7 bucks. All in all, a little over your budget, but not much. Hope this helps

to stay under 200 total, you're going to need to go used for the microcube. I managed to find the uke for a little over 120 and the amp (new) for about 90 shipped, both on ebay. The stock strings are GHS, and they're pretty bad, so you'll want to switch them out for concert scale strings, so tack on another 5-7 bucks. All in all, a little over your budget, but not much. Hope this helps

$120 for the Uke, $130 for the microcube, $7 for Aquila Concerts

$257. I can live with that, but I'm gonna think about it before I make a decision. Thanks!!!

Does the roland microcube come with a cable or do you have to buy your own?

Last edited:
$120 for the Uke, $130 for the microcube, $7 for Aquila Concerts

$257. I can live with that, but I'm gonna think about it before I make a decision. Thanks!!!

Does the roland microcube come with a cable or do you have to buy your own?

my stagg came with a cable, which wasn't advertised so I ordered another one without knowing. I assume it comes standard (with the uke. I don't know about the microcube) but best to ask the seller first...

also, I know butler music on ebay has some listings that allows you to "make an offer", so you might be able to save some money there. or even better, since butler music has an actual physical store, you can call them directly to try to negotiate a price.

Last edited:
Just pulled the trigger myself. Bought the one for $109 on ebay but there was some issue with the checkout system they used. I sent them an email but have yet to hear back. Hopefully get it some time next week. And the wait begins...

Update 2 hours later: Wow what a great experience! I purchased mine from Butler Music on eBay. They are a local store n Missouri called Butler Music & Loan per google. Anyway, I had an issue with the checkout system that they were using which they quickly cleared up from a simple phone call. I was offered a $5 discount for my trouble. I paid when it was corrected and they immediately sent me the UPS tracking info because they shipped it the same day! I highly recommend these folks for any US purchases.

Last edited:
Just checked the tracking info and she is out for delivery! Hopefully waiting for me when I get home. I was thinking of trying a different string than Aquila but I am not sure what I would want to go with. Are there better strings for solid bodies vs. regular? Where do you buy them online? I have no place local around here except for GC and all they carry is GHS. Any suggestions?

Mine came in today... Feels better than the concert eleuke I had last year.... I'm changing the strings to Martin flouros... They are nice and bright.... Flourocarbons have higher magnitude when compared to nylon and this improves the sound transmission on the saddle....

Last edited:
Wow, what a coincidence. Mine sounded awful when I got it after tuning so while out running errands I stopped at Guitar Center. The only strings they had were Martin flouros so I picked them up. When I got home I realized I was tuning the G and C backwards. Duh. Noob mistake if I ever saw one. LOL. I wanted to see what people thought of the Martin's before I put them on. So far so good. Any other online choices or are Martins the way to go.

With some used trickery, I got a Roland Microcube, a black Stagg les paul, and new strings for $212.83 shipped. Woo! Now all that remains is the waiting game.

Nice deal ras! It is a fun instrument. I was playing mine for about two hours last night. A friend of mine let me borrow his Peavey 15w amp and a Boss DS-1 reverb pedal. He was also teaching me some nirvana and greenday which sounds awesome with that combo. It's a novelty but I spent most of the evening just playing into my headphones which sounds great. I am very happy with the purchase and so is my wife.

Guitar center has the Honeytone Danelectro mini amp for 19 dollars.... This is pretty much all you need for this little beastie..........

The action at the nut is a little too high for my liking but its fine for slide guitar.......

I finally put on the Martin Flouros and WOW what a difference. It sounds so much better (although it gets out of tune SO fast. I can't wait till they stop stretching) I found the action at the nut to be fine for me. I guess that is a personal preference thing there. I found leaving the headphones plugged in drains the battery overnight. Woops. My only issue, other than the finish on the body, is the smoothness of the tuners. Save those two items, it's as good as any solid body instrument I have held. There is one minor imperfection (a small 1/4" long shallow dent, it's more than a scratch but below the finish) adjacent to the strings and there is some sort of residue on the back that did not come off with a damp cloth. I may rub it down with alcohol when I go get some but it really doesn't bother me. The wife loves the quietness and I'll be able to play when the baby is asleep. Almost two weeks later and I still love it.

Mine came too, and I also found that my flouros got out of tune really quickly. It's really cool, although it's heavier that I'd like - I ordered a strap from MGM.

I just bought one from dentuke. He mentioned in post #52 that he thought the nut is too high and I agree (though I know little about ukes--bass is my usual instrument.) Think I'll tackle cutting the nut grooves a bit deeper to ease the pressure required to fret close to the neck.

Its a blast for slide ukulele!!!!!

tune it gCEg ........ have fun!!!!!!

The honey tone also gives it a scratchy blues sound (kind of like a pig nose baby amp)

Thanks dentuke! Really enjoying the uke and the Honeytone! Fingers are very sore...strings are somewhat sharper than the bass strings I am used to fretting!

I'll give the alternate tuning a shot.

Worked on the nut and cut the grooves deeper. Much easier on the fingers at the first fret now.

I'm enjoying the instrument. Pretty decent quality. Only concession I can find to keeping the cost low is some reasonably sloppy glue work done with the frets. Rosewood is really dry (in spite of a lemon oil treatment) and there are few frets where the glue lines are visible.

oldrookie, it was awesome meeting you. and deep down i kindof loathe you at the moment for letting me play that little beast. Once the high of my mainland wears off this might be my next purchase, especially the black Les Paul style.

Great meeting you too! Looks like you all had a lot of fun at the rest of UWC.

And... sorry? Ha!

Really appreciated your input on the Stagg. No buyer's remorse, but nice to be able to keep feeling good about the uke.

Glad to see that you got your Mainland!

No, wait... you already had the beautiful Mainland. Remembered you talking about getting a new one, right?

Last edited:
Top Bottom