Anyone tried a Laka?

BarbaryBill

Reaction score
UK - 30 miles from london and avoiding it when i c
I've been advised to go for a solid wood uke rather than laminate. Has anyone heard of, used, or owned a brand called Laka?

I will probably have to buy blind off the web as music shops in my area don't really do the uke thing, so any advice/Information opinions would be appreciated.

Stew

I've been advised to go for a solid wood uke rather than laminate. Has anyone heard of, used, or owned a brand called Laka?

I will probably have to buy blind off the web as music shops in my area don't really do the uke thing, so any advice/Information opinions would be appreciated.

Stew

No. But if you are looking at woods, Mainland has just come to UK. You might also look to Ohana. Good ukes and good prices.

Laka?

Could you possibly have meant Kala?

edit: nevermind, I found a "Laka" uke by searching on Google.
http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/0704830/details.html

They seem to be decent, probably from a similar or same factory as other good quality Made-in-China ukes (Kala, Lanikai, etc).
I have never heard of them, and I personally stick to well known brands unless I have tried the uke myself.

Can you try it out in a store first?

Last edited:
I must admit " Kala vs laka same factory in china" scenario went through my head too. Sadly no chance to try it first - but it seams a nice item (http://www.djmmusic.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=VUT90EA).

K - I see you have a kala arch top ....would you recommend it or is it style over substance? I have been sorely tempted!

Thanks for your help too Thom - Can't get the Ohana I'd like at the price I want to pay - life is a bitch sometimes eh?

Stew

I've got a Kala archtop. Fun uke... not very loud when played acoustic, maybe in part because of the f-holes, but it sounds great plugged in... I think it was intended to be amped anyway. I really like the feel of the neck.. plays nicely. I can't really compare it to a solid wood uke, because it's just different.

I own a Laka VUC80EA, It sounds good in my opinion, had it for two months and no problems, i play it everyday. I tried it amplied in the store and i thought it sounded amazing! although i havn't played anything else amplified. It sounds as good as my Kala KA-ASMS. Laka is definitely good value for what you pay

I have the Kala Archtop and was expecting it to be a lot quieter than it is.
I actually wouldn't mind playing it unplugged. Nice warm tone.

It's the old story - man sees uke in shop, man tries uke, man falls in love, man ends up shelling out more money than he can afford.

I bought a Laka two weeks ago and it's barely been out of my hands since. it's the koa, concert size model with a built in pick-up (though oddly not the Fishman pick-up that you see them with on all the adverts, but a good pick-up nonetheless).

It's a joy to play, sounds great, looks spectacular the intonation is good and it stays in tune. I can't see how or where you'll find a better uke in this price band, I tried an Ashbory koa uke in an adjacent shop, and it's nowhere near as nice as the Laka.

Buy with confidence.

Laka = Kala?

Laka = Lanikai - ni - i = Nii?

:p

Wondering if we'll see more brands from China with names like (Ka)Maka or (Ka)Nilea. I've seen how early Japanese, Korean and Chinese copies of classical guitars butchered some Spanish names in poor attempts to brand their instruments with some air of authenticity. :D

Hi
Three days ago bought a Laka Model VUC 70, concert size with solid Mahogany top.
Quality, sound, playability and value for money all 10/10.

hi for some reason my post disappeared ???
i have tried a Laka VUC90 EA and it seemed awesome, bit too expensive for me
hey Derick, i am thinking about buying the same Uke as you but the soprano version called VUS70, would you recommend it ?
thanks

Hi kerplunk

Yes i would recommend the Laka VUS70, very good value for money. If you get one let me know what you think of it.

thanks derick
i will probably get it, do u reckon it is safe to buy them off internet, cuz nowhere locally sells it, a shop can order it me, but on the internet i save about £20 which cud get a case

ok
i have ordered a Laka VUS70, i will let u all know what i think when it arrives

Hi there
I got the Laka VUS70
and it seems to be a pretty good Uke
it has a good tone, looks nice and is easy to play. i got it for £80, seems good value

Top Bottom