Hawaii under tsunami warning

Fitzy

Reaction score
Hoping for the best to all our friends in Hawaii. Hopefully, this will turn out to be uneventful

By JAYMES SONG
Associated Press/AP Online (2/27/10)

EWA BEACH, Hawaii - Hawaii braced for a potentially damaging tsunami Saturday, generated by the massive earthquake struck central Chile.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued a tsunami warning - its highest alert - for Hawaii, where incoming waves could cause damage along the coastlines across the island chain. A warning was also in effect for Guam, American Samoa and dozens of other Pacific islands.

The first waves were expected to arrive in Hawaii at 11:19 a.m. Saturday (4:19 p.m. EST).

The state planned to sound warning sirens statewide at 6 a.m. to alert residents and tourists of the incoming tsunami, said Shelly Ichishita, spokeswoman for state civil defense.

A lower-grade tsunami advisory was in effect for the coast of California and an Alaskan coastal area from Kodiak to Attu islands.

The Ewa Beach, Hawaii-based center called for "urgent action to protect lives and property" in Hawaii, which is among 53 nations and territories subject to tsunami warnings.

"The main thing is we want everyone to take this event seriously," said Charles McCreery, director of the center.

McCreery said he didn't know how big the waves will be, but he expected them to be the largest to hit Hawaii since 1964.

People in coastal areas, such as tourist-filled Waikiki, will then be instructions on a possible evacuation. The sirens will also be sounded again three hours prior to the estimated arrival time.

"If you're in an evacuation zone, police or civil defense volunteers would instruct you to evacuate, or instructions will come out over the radio and TV," she said.

If coastal areas are evacuated, visitors in Waikiki would be moved to higher floors in their hotels, rather than moved out of the tourist district, which could cause gridlock.

Ichishita said people who are not in evacuation zones to stay away from coastal areas.

Despite the incoming waves, the state was calm through the night with no signs of panic.

"We've got a lot of things going for us," McCreery said. "We have a reasonable lead time. The evacuation should all take place during daylight hours, and wave impact should be during daylight hours.

"We should be able to alert everyone in harm's way to move out of the evacuation zones."

Barry Hirschon, also of the Tsunami center, said the advisory for the California coast and parts of Alaska was the agency's lowest level alert.

"It's a heads up that there's been a tsunami event and it could affect the coasts later," Hirschon told CNN. "I don't think it will be updated to a warning."

The largest earthquake ever recorded struck the same area of Chile in 1960. The deadly wave that it caused raced across the Pacific and hit the Hilo area of the Big Island, where 61 people were killed.

My thoughts, best wishes and prayers to all the UU members in Hawaii. I hope the waves prove nothing more than good surfing.

Many years ago, I sat in a restaurant in Hilo where they had lines painted on the window to show how high the water hit during a really bad tsunami.

Stay safe!

Stay safe, everyone. And please take all warnings seriously... My thoughts are with everyone who's been affected by this earthquake.

Hope everything is ok.

Wow. That's a long time to watch and wait. Be safe my friends! You're in my prayers for a non-event!

Many prayers for those in Chile and Hawaii...

So far all our family are moved to high ground, still worried tho. Daughter is calling every half hour, and sending pictuers to us here in Oregon.

8.2-foot tsunami wave expected to strike Hilo, Hawaii, at 11:05 a.m. local time (4:05 p.m. ET) - Pacific Tsunami Warning Center

To all of our Hawaiian Ohana...please be safe and take all warnings seriously!!!!!
All are in my prayers. To all affected by the tragic events in Chile, my thoughts and prayers go out to all and hope everyone is safe and sound.
Remember, material things can be replaced .... you can't!!!!!!!!

Everyone is pretty on top of it over here. Civil Defense does a good job. Just be smart if you are down by the sea. But just in case you were wondering - listening to the sirens is a bad way to wake up. Now we wait.

Good luck to all. Let us hear from you when the danger has passed.

Please keep us informed on the conditions and most of all stay safe.

Mile from Tsunami zone but live on a river, supposedly safe but moving valuables to high ground. Last couple tsunamis just made river rise so confident of safety but prepared for the worst. Will keep you posted.
Best wishes to UU'er in Kapa'a.

Best wishes to to our Aotearoa (New Zealand) UU'ers too.

Last edited:
Best of Luck to Hawaii and the rest of the Pacific! Be safe, so we can keep our hopes for helping the earthquake victims.

To all the Hawaii UUers: please stay safe and keep us posted when you can. You are all in our thoughts...

Top Bottom