Why do you play the ukulele? research for a college paper

HOO Boy, there's so much I could say about why I picked up the uke. There were SO many reasons. First of all, it's a fun, quirky, completely non-pretentious instrument. I heard this mentioned in another thread, and it's true: when you play an instrument like guitar or piano, there are so many people who play them, that everyone has high expectations of it. If you play, you'd better be good, otherwise you'll just drown in a sea of people who play better than you. It's not like that with the ukulele. People play it for fun, because it's fun to play. Also, and I'm paraphrasing something I read here that I'm pretty sure is from ukulelehunt.com, that the ukulele is so small that when you play it, there's almost nothing between you and the audience, which helps you connect with the people listening to you. Also, it's an affordable instrument. You can get a starter for less than $50, which you can't really do with other instruments. That makes it easy to pick one up to try it without worrying about making a serious commitment (although, speaking from experience, how could you not?!). Personally, I picked one up because I thought it was quirky and fun, and no one else that I knew played one. It was also affordable enough that I could get one without worrying about spending too much (I'm a jobless college student, you see). I play it because I love the reaction I get when people see me playing. It's all positive and fun. People see me, and they immediately want to come over and join-and I don't have a problem with handing the uke over and teaching them a few chords (spread the love). It's such a simple instrument to learn, that it's super easy to just really quickly teach someone (who may have never even picked up an instrument at all) to play a few chords. Teach them a C, an F, an A minor, and a G, and there's a song! Actually, that's more like 500 songs (if not more). No problem. And you've helped someone accomplish something new.Another thing that I really like about it is that it's portable. I stay in a dorm on campus, but I go home almost every weekend. It would be such a chore to drag my guitar around with me everywhere I go, but the uke is small enough that I can carry it around no problem. It's also small enough that when I'm in the car (in the passenger seat of course) I can break it out and play a few songs for the road. Try playing a guitar in the passenger seat of a car. It's AWKWARD. (And i'm not knocking the guitar, I've been playing guitar since I was in high school, and I do love it, but, in my opinion, the uke was a whole lot easier to pick up. I've only had my uke for almost two months, and I can already play three times as many songs as I can on guitar.)

I could go on, but all this talking about the uke is making me want to play it! :D Good luck with your paper!

Last edited:
Edit: seeso

Guys, please don’t quote any spam posts. It defeats the purpose of me going in and deleting the post. And then I also have to edit the quote.

It's also cheating.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's also cheating.

And more importantly, you don't gain knowledge or experience doing it that way. You don't learn anything except how to cheat.

Why I Uke

I love music. I grew up in a household that often had music playing. Mostly classical, big band or broadway. Both my sisters played piano and guitar very well. Then the folk movement hit and I loved to sing with the records. British invasion. Folk rock. Pop. Jazz. (Huge Jazz fan.)

I was in choir in school from 3rd grade to 12th. But never learned to read music. Enjoyed singing by ear with others.

Tried to learn folk guitar in High School and College, because I wanted to accompany mysingihg with an instrument, but my fingers just wouldn’t cooperate for Barre chords. And I had plenty of creative outlets, (graphic designer, artist, copywriter) so learning an instrument took a backseat.

I retired a few years ago. Still singing all the time, by myself and in community choir. Tried to learn guitar, but my fingers were getting a little arthritic and it wasn’t working. I practiced every day both exercises and songs, but couldn’t get past basic strums that weren’t very good.

Then I was talking to a friend. He told me about a ukulele club he belonged to and how much fun it was. I was skeptical. I only knew the ukulele from Tiny Tim and 20s & 30s pop songs and movies. But he kept at me and finally I said I’d come and see what it was about.

The club has a beginners table with instruments in all three sizes you can try out while taking some simple lessons. I found the tenor to be a great fit. Both in size and sound wise. (I’m 6’ 1”.) After a few times with the beginners, we were encouraged to sit with the rest of the members and follow along as best we could. The others were very encouraging and helpful.

After two meetings I decided to buy my own tenor uke. I started to read about ukuleles and gathered that Hawaiian Koa was one of the best woods for their construction. The local music store didn’t carry ukes, then my wy wife reminded me that I had some gift cards for Amazon, why not look there for an instrument? I was overwhelmed by the numbers of models and makers. So I narrowed it to tenors and Koa. I set a budget of $250. And I found an all-koa Fender Nohea. I knew the name Fender. And I thought the headstock was different and made the instrument stand out from the crowd. So I bought one. It was an OK instrument. The Koa was laminate. It was badly setup. And the strings were no-name nylon. But I was determined and played it religiously for 6 months. My fingers could handle 4 strings. And I was getting better every week. I could play along with the others from our club songbook without embarrassing myself too much.

I continued to research ukuleles, instruction, both online and in books. I found Gotaukulele.com by Barry Maz that was oriented towards beginner ukulele players. (I wish I’d found it sooner.) I also found several ukulele-oriented communities online. Especially the Ukulele Underground Forum. It has terrific people. Who are knowledgeable and don’t mind sharing their knowledge. Great community with fun and informative camaraderie. Sometimes I contribute something of interest to the discussion, or find out that my understanding is flawed or incomplete. Which is great, because I learn something new.

I also got deep into ukulele luthiers, brands and makers. I started acquiring tenor ukuleles. I had been putting way funds for a nw sports car, but realized I would rather spend the money on tenors. I love how each and every instrument has its own sound nuances and voice. Learning about tone woods and body shapes and necks and tuners and bracing and strings and everything is all fascinating to me. And it’s just as much fun for me as playing the instruments is. I now own about 35 tenors. They span the gamut from mid-range $300-400 to much more in cost. Quite a few I bought used on the UU Market or other places online. This has allowed me to own a few finer instruments which I could not have otherwise afforded to buy. Fine examples of artistic design and excellent craftsmanship, using lovely woods and materials to make instruments that sound as beautiful as they look. The ultimate melding of form and function.

I’ve made some close friends at the ukulele club. I enjoy playing with a group. As well as plinking away by myself and with friends. I will never be a very good player, but my goal is to be able to jam with others and know and be able to do what I should when I do. Because that is big fun.

The ukulele and learning music is keeping my brain active. It enables me to socially interact with others. Even practicing is enjoyable. I even take a small uke with me when I travel. It’s also keeping me sane during "Shelter in Place” restrictions. I read a lot and am on the computer a lot, but expanding my abilities on the ukulele gives me a true sense of accomplishment. I’m looking forward to going to some ukulele festivals when the Stay at Home restrictions are finally over and COVID19 is conquered.

Sorry for the long reply, but I thought it needed some context. I hope this helps your research & paper.

I played keyboard as a teen, got into guitar due to my music taste and sold my keyboard while still a teen. Played guitar for well over a decade till 2011 when i bought a ukulele as a joke. I went from guitar daily to uke daily and guitar a few times a year. I felt like i plateaued on guitar for the genres i liked. Ear trained, theory and improvisation. Plus (and there are jokes about it) there is a lot of ego in guitar like 'i can do better'. I had insane rivalry with guitarist friends. I played for fun but upset some... strange situations. Plus i as never happy no matter how difficult the piece. When i learned it it was easy and i had to push harder. Meh...

I feel the uke community is truly amazing and i feel joy with simple and technical pieces as i'm having fun first. I am happy i can play guitar but i wish i started ukulele earlier. I see true support for beginners and awe of the masters and just the dam good. Ukulele is a happy necessity like meditation for me.

Plus the prices are better. You can buy Koaloha and Kamaka's finest for what Martin charges for the entry level acoustic guitars. With companies like Ohana you don't have to stretch far for a decent ukulele.

Hope this helps. :)

I'm going on 72. I was injured, ended up a paraplegic in a wheelchair, doubling a well known actor doing a stunt that went bad in 1973. I started playing guitar at the age of 10, playing professionally for many years pre/ post injury in L.A. and Vancouver, Canada. As the years wore on, it was getting more and more difficult to handle a guitar with the balance challenges holding a dreadnaught sized guitar I was having so stopped playing for a few years. One day it came to me I should try playing a ukulele. Put an ad in the paper looking for a uke. Had no idea what so ever of the different sizes etc. Brian Griffin of Griffin ukes happened to see the ad and called me. I went to see him bought one and was playing again. He also informed me of a uke group in our town so joined them. Since then I've had numerous custom ukes. One being a steel strung Pono baritone. It showed me I missed the sound of steel strings and the extra two strings of a guitar. Found a smaller guitar which put me on the road to custom guitars and flat picking in a blue grass group.

The uke got me back into playing music again and playing with others I never considered I'd do again. I lead a seniors group of uke players at the senior center and find ukes for the newbies just starting out. Also ended up playing lead for a community uke players playing music at assisted living facilities etc. and playing lead guitar for a bluegrass group. Music helped me get through the tough days post injury and the uke brought the music back into my life I thought was forever gone.

Last edited:
I bought my first 30 odd years ago to go travelling with,but then decided my 100 year old Kumalea was too precious,so i bought another one,to do the trip,as the years have gone by,and increasing health problems,I've practically given up on guitar,and just play uke,which allows me to meet and play with loads of different groups which i like.Im a far better uke player,than i was ever a guitarist,and i still find it a challenge,working out arrangements for this wonderful instrument

Why do I play the ukulele?
For one: you can't take a piano to the beach.
For another: when you play a guitar or piano, people who like it sit & listen. When you play a uke, people who like it ask how hard it is to learn, then go out & buy one.
For another: I have 4 fingers. A uke has 4 strings. Easy to play. Easy to learn. OTOH, a guitar has 6 strings -- 2 more strings than I have fingers. Harder to learn. Harder to play.

Last edited:
Top Bottom