If everybody played the uke...

brokenwing

Reaction score
...would the world be a better place? Would people be kinder? More peace loving? More spiritual?

There's something about music in general and the ukulele in particular that speaks to the good in people. Maybe it's the simplicity of the uke - or its complexity. The strings have a sound of innocence and hope, like it's coming straight from the heart.

It's been said you can't change the world, just your little corner of it. So, here's hoping that there's a ukulele on every little corner of the world.

I totally agree. The ukulele is one of the most unassuming and least intimidating instruments around. It brings a smile to everyone (players and audience). Peace, love and ukuleles to all!

The strings have a sound of innocence and hope, like it's coming straight from the heart.

It's been said you can't change the world, just your little corner of it. So, here's hoping that there's a ukulele on every little corner of the world.

:worship: I second this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love ur post!

to be honest i'd rather the ukulele didn't get as popular as guitar.. don't get me wrong, in my opinion its the best instrument... but if its as big i wouldn't like it as much because i'd rather do something not many other people do in my area.... but on the other hand - i could teach people what i know ^^

to be honest i'd rather the ukulele didn't get as popular as guitar..

I'm down with UkuLeLesReggAe on this one. We're already starting to see certain acts adding a ukulele in because it's the "latest hip thing" rather than because they like it (or know how to utilize its strengths properly).

When this "third wave" crests and breaks, I'll still be playing my ukes. But how many are going to be going into closets and attics like at the end of the first and second wave?

Besides, if everybody played the uke, who'd hold down the back line (bass line, percussion) for me? :p

I'm down with UkuLeLesReggAe on this one. We're already starting to see certain acts adding a ukulele in because it's the "latest hip thing" rather than because they like it (or know how to utilize its strengths properly).

When this "third wave" crests and breaks, I'll still be playing my ukes. But how many are going to be going into closets and attics like at the end of the first and second wave?

Besides, if everybody played the uke, who'd hold down the back line (bass line, percussion) for me? :p

So true. Would this website have to change it's name to UkuleleMainstream.com ?

While it might be nice to be able to tell people that you play the ukulele and not get that certain smirk (you know the one..) but I'd still prefer not every one play the ukulele because if everybody played one they'd realize just how modest my skills actually are.

This is a tough balancing act. I want to introduce the uke to as many people as possible but I still want my little instrument to be somewhat unique and special. It's like Syndrome says in The Incredibles: "... when everyone's Super... No one will be."

Personally it doesn't matter. It doesn't change the sound, nor does it change how it feels to play. Everyone has their instrument.

As a downside, you'd see a huge influx of crappily made ukes for premium prices.

hahaha obviously what i expected but seriously... every other instrument is broing and old... why?? because evrybody plays them.. that was the whole point of everything i said - . -

The Smirk

While it might be nice to be able to tell people that you play the ukulele and not get that certain smirk (you know the one..) but I'd still prefer not every one play the ukulele because if everybody played one they'd realize just how modest my skills actually are.

God I hate the smirk, and the T and F words depending on which side of the globe you hail from.

This might be a whole other thread, but does every region of the globe have a Tiny Tim or Formby like entertainer that causes the masses to roll their eyes at the Ukulele? I mean, you don't get the smirk playing the mandolin do you? Why is that?

I agree with some of you to point that I wouldn't like it becomeing mainstream. But the honest truth of it is, people are lazy, thats why you dont always see people playing guitar because they either give up or always sit there dreaming of learning but never get off their ass to do it.

Its always the same smirk, like their either A. Questioning my manhood or B. Questioning the instrument.

Well, there's also the smile... not received as often as the smirk, but sometimes. That's my favorite thing about the uke, it can make people smile before you even strum a note- just by taking it out of its case.

But I'm totally with ya on the skills part. There are THIS many people that play guitar... therefore I'm way down on the list & I suck. BUT... there are only THIS many people who play the uke, so I'm higher up on the chart ;)

Its always the same smirk, like their either A. Questioning my manhood or B. Questioning the instrument.

I must live in a blessed area because I mostly get the smiles and rarely "the smirk." The few times I do (or the comment about how my guitar is so tiny) I simply tell them I feel no need to overcompensate. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
This is a tough balancing act. I want to introduce the uke to as many people as possible but I still want my little instrument to be somewhat unique and special. It's like Syndrome says in The Incredibles: "... when everyone's Super... No one will be."

thats so true. i guess there has to be some kind of balance for the number of ukulele players out there in the world. it's kind of like being a magician, you don't want to reveal your secrets but there are those good people who have the same passion for the art that you will teach. i plan on teaching ukulele classes and while i don't want the ukulele to become insanely popular, here in hawaii, it's part of the local culture so i'm glad to see people learn a part of it.

Its like we are stuck in this musical pergetory, we're trying to bring some peace to the world with this small intrument, but we know that if its full potenial is realized it will no longer be what it should be, and so it will never be what it could be. Whoa....kinda lost myself in that one.

I KNOW!

Kid 1: What kinda guitar is that.
Me: Actually, its a ukulele.
Kid 1:*the smirk* Oh (as if its SOOO inferior to the supreme god of instruments:THE GUITAR!)

I must live in a blessed area because I mostly get the smiles and rarely "the smirk."..

I live in the area Tiny Tim last lived. That might have something to do with it. His presence is a lot fresher in the Twin Cities area.

(And I certainly can't fault him or Formby for their schtick. They were great at what they did. And as an avid fan of novelty musics of all sorts I have deep respect for what they pulled off. It's just that comedy never gets the respect of tragedy despite being much more difficult to do.)

The initial smirk tends to go away after they realize that I'm very serious about the instrument though and explaining how much a good ukulele costs usually makes them pause a bit...

If everyone played the ukulele, people would still have just as much capacity for pettiness, cruelty, brutality, hatred, avarice, and the like.

It's a beautiful instrument, but it's not magic.

I disagree with you. Playing the ukulele is like meditation. It relieves stress and gives me a higher sense of self-worth. It also connects me to the world around me, grounds me and centers me.

It is likely that most people on this forum feel the exact same way. Therefore it would stand to reason that an ukulele-playing population would experience the same benefits that I do.

However, these benefits are not solely the results of the strumming of an ukulele.

If everyone practiced meditation everyday, or yoga, or runner's high, or fill-in-the-blank, the world would be a more peaceful place, there's no doubt in my mind.

Top Bottom