Binding or no binding?

Well, they are both nice...I think the binding makes it look more "formal", if that makes any sense...personally I like binding AND purfling on a ukulele. (Yes, I am an Abalone Hoe!) Seriously, it depends on the type of wood, prettier grain need less "enhancement" to pop out. On those two ukes I would choose the nonbound one...or just get them both, what the heck...they're small!:music:

I would love to get both but I do not feel like spending too much right now. Seeing how I do not know how to play yet lol. Thanks

I read soemwhere that binding also serves a purpose in the ukulele's sound.
Something to do with making the sides more rigid so the sound is projected by the vibrating top better...

Sorry for all of the questions but are the colored Ukes affect the sound too? I figured that because the price is much cheaper for those ones.

There are cheap coloured ukes, because they're generally cheaply made and aimed at children.
Though the Makala dolphins seemed to be liked by adults just as much :p

There are more costly coloured ukes, like Riptide, which are made of quality solid-wood and sound good.
Kala also has some non-cheap coloured ukes which sound just fine.

But in general, the lighter and thinner the soundboard of the ukulele, the better it will vibrate and thus sound louder.
So a colour or gloss finish does affect the sound. It may make it sound more mellow, and in some cases quieter (though not always the case).
It really depends on the uke...

Top Bottom