Ghetto Ukulele Giveaway

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the market for my first (yes, first) ukulele. I have made several "shopping" excursions, and through my research on the internet have actually gotten pretty decent on the uke, despite the only playing time I've had was in-store. I'm in the Arkansas National Gaurd and I work on post alot, so I can't bring my guitar here. A uke is perfect.

That being said, the selection in-state is alittle slim. There are no stores that carry good-quality ukes anywhere that I can find.

Why do I want a uke? Well, my ex-fiance's family used to travel alot when she was little. One of her memories that will forever be associated in my mind is when she was a little girl, her father paid for a helicopter flight over the big island of hawaii, and while she was looking out over the beaches bruddah iz's "somewhere over the rainbow" came over the headsets. We used to listen to that song all the time... she actually put it on a mixed cd she made for me when I got back from the army after being away for a year. I took that song and what it meant to her, and it became my very own. After things went downhill with us, I saw Seeso's "The song we never wrote" on youtube... I actually cried in the middle of a crowded computer lab at college. If any of you haven't checked out seeso's stuff, you should. It's very heart-felt and real.

Anyway, it was at that point (yes, seeso and jaaaa; not jake) that I decided to play ukulele. It's been six months now, and through all the bills and college life I haven't been able to shell out the money for a proper ukulele.

If this uke were to come to me, I'd play it everyday. I already have a list of songs I know the chord progressions to on guitar, and I think they'd sound awesome on a uke.

So GX, if you think I'm worthy of this generosity, I would be greatly pleased and post many videos of songs that hopefully would help other beginners out, like many of you have done already.

Last edited:
It does feel awkward trying to recommend yourself hehe. But the reason why I would like to have the uke is because I always find myself teaching kids or teenagers some sort of song or picking at my work place. I always bring my kala to the local park that I work at and when people hear me play a song, they want me to teach them. Surely, I do but we would always have to switch off with having the uke. By having 2 ukes, I could keep my kala at my work place in the back and i would be bringing the pono from home instead.

I also plan on teaching an ukulele class during our fall program and since we offer free classes, I'd figure having extra ukes that the kids could use would be great. That way, they wouldn't need to have to go out and buy their own or bring theirs from home (since it could be a hassle carrying them as they walk to and from home). That's also why I'm trying for the ukulelereview.com logo design contest. If I receive this uke, I would be able to provide others with the uke that i currently have along with possibly another one that i hope to win :p

haha just for s&g's...

if you give me that ukulele i will cut some slots into it, relocate the tuners, open up the area where the binding is separating, and make it a secondary sound hole, attach some strap buttons, lower the action, and rock out on it on stage.

if it ends up falling apart, i will cut out a new solid body, transplant the pickup, and use the neck to put together an electric ukulele.

hahaha

Haha,

Sounds fun Nuke.
If ya do win, post pics when you are done, cuz I wanna see.

Aloha
Acabo'oe:cool:

I think i'll give this a shot.

Why i would enjoy that lovely uke:

As of right now i have a small plastic(yes plastic) hilo soprano that has rainbows painted on it(yes rainbows), and i just got a hilo tenor from my freinds dad, wich refuses to stay in tune and buzzes like mad.
I dont have a job so money is kinda hard to come by, my family isnt poor but there isnt any extra money for a ukulele.
I dont have a camera to make a video, but i can tell you sincerly from the bottom of my heart that i have fallen in love with the ukulele, ive been playing for about three weeks, i love to go down to the park in my town and jam.

I can play I shot the sheriff, waiting in vain, redemption song, natural mystic, somewhere over the rainbow(iz), and wonderful tonight pretty good.

And currently im working on Hotel california, and hawii 78.
I would love the uke.

May the best person win.

Ok well, IF I do even have a chance at this. I'd like to show you what I worked with in the past 3-4 years until I got 'deached'.

Introducing, from 2003 to today. The $15 FirstClass. (more like FirstA**):eek:.

Uke002.jpg
Uke003.jpg
Uke007.jpg

After a few months, the tuning pegs wouldn't stay in place. So I left it since the hole for the screw was huge now.

Uke004.jpg
Uke008.jpg

Oh and here's the good part. Dropped many times (I was careless back then), painted, carved, etc. This was out of anger and outrage

Uke005.jpg
Uke006.jpg

For now, that's what I have to go to when I'm feeling lazy and I dont want to take the MK-T out the case. That's what I bring to school, in the car, etc. I only use the MK-T when I'm jamming on special occasions and for practice. So I hope, I can actually use the Pono on my amp and bring the MK-T to other places so I don't get embarrassed by that POS FirstClass.

Good lucks all!

Ok well, IF I do even have a chance at this. I'd like to show you what I worked with in the past 3-4 years until I got 'deached'.

(pictures and whatnot)

But dang degracia, that's a nifty looking ukulele, no? I want one now :p

But dang degracia, that's a nifty looking ukulele, no? I want one now :p

lol. I made the carvings just couple months ago cuz I was pissed that it wouldn't stay in tune, so what the hey. I didn't think it would've looked like that, but I still regret it.

Hey guys, thanks for the entries so far. I realize running something like this probably end up disappointing a lot of people since I only have 1 uke to give, but I will do my best to pick a good home for the uke.

By the way, you don't necessarily have to be someone who can't afford a Pono. Even if you already have another Pono model/size or something in the same class, if you think you can put it to good use, by all means let me know here.

You know, I've had this uke out of its case the last couple of days and played it quite a bit, and I must say, it sounds pretty nice! Very punchy and percussive sound and probably superior to its replacement, the PTES-CE, right now. Almost gives me "giver's remorse". :D

Uke002.jpg
Uke003.jpg
Uke007.jpg
thats the same uke as one of the ones im giving away in the "brotherhood of the traveling ukulele" deal. nice work!

You know, I've had this uke out of its case the last couple of days and played it quite a bit, and I must say, it sounds pretty nice! Very punchy and percussive sound and probably superior to its replacement, the PTES-CE, right now. Almost gives me "giver's remorse". :D

:rofl:

Have you amped it up yet?

:rofl:

Have you amped it up yet?

In the last few days, the only time I hooked it up to the amp is to check the pickup. It works very well. I do run it through a pre-amp though, since it is a passive pickup.

haha just for s&g's...

if you give me that ukulele i will cut some slots into it, relocate the tuners, open up the area where the binding is separating, and make it a secondary sound hole, attach some strap buttons, lower the action, and rock out on it on stage.

if it ends up falling apart, i will cut out a new solid body, transplant the pickup, and use the neck to put together an electric ukulele.

hahaha

Maybe I should just send you some wood planks and 2x4's and you can knock yourself out! :D

uke. uke. uke.

i am a performing artist who wants to start playing the uke in my set, but since i do not charge for shows, cuz i only do benefits and charity events, i can't afford to buy a tenor with a pick up. i have been wanting one for a while now and this is a great opportunity to get one. You rock for doing this. stay chill. God Bless. one

fresh
emotion

Remember you're doing us a favour and most certainly don't have to give it away if you don't want to, man. We won't judge. Too much ;)

Kudos to you George. Deach's generosity is rubbing off and spreading like wild fire. Good luck to those who have their eye on this tenor.

Last edited:
Well, I have just recently just started playing and truthfully, have fallen in love with the ukulele. Being a student, i do not have any money to buy any high end ukuleles. I do however, have a soprano lanikai and i love it [: I've been wanting another ukulele since i bought my first one to see if i could actually stick to playing a ukulele. The tenor is perfect for the Jake songs i've been wanting to play,to bring around while traveling to california, and other places. So far, i can play no woman no cry, banana pancakes, raindrops keep falling on my head, and love in this club.

Ukulele underground is awesome and gx9901 you have got one big heart [:

If any of you haven't checked out seeso's stuff, you should. It's very heart-felt and real.

Never heard of him. :confused:
:D

So Deach, if you think I'm worthy of this generosity, I would be greatly pleased and post many videos of songs that hopefully would help other beginners out, like many of you have done already.

This isn't my contest. It's GX9901's. The "9901" signifies how many times better he is than me.

IF you don't win, maybe, MAYBE, MAYBE, I'll send you something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom