Ghetto Ukulele Giveaway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

As I've noted in the original post, I will make a decision by 5/25. Since it's a long weekend, I might cheat and do it by Monday.:p

If you haven't posted and would like to make my job harder, you have until midnight (CENTRAL TIME) on Friday to post here. I will "cap" the thread with a post tomorrow around midnight central time (that's 10:00PM on west coast and 1:00AM, 5/24 on east coast).

Thanks for the participation. Looks like the Pono tenor should end up in good hands.

Even though I'm likely not to be chosen, I'm still eager to know who's going to own this beauty of an uke :eek:

ya i'm eager to know too. it's funny because i was teaching some people today and i only had my kala so we were just handing the uke back and forth. it reminded me of this thread and why this pono would be helpful.... oh the suspense haha.

Heyas-- This is my video entry to this contest. I made the video yesterday, and apparantly 28 random people looked at it already (scary) before I could link it here thanks to a slower than usual processing time (and the fact that I woke up for work a little late).

So, here it is...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZyyGDtUdwo
Just so ya'll know, this is in one take, (obviously), I get punchy when I'm tired (I just worked a 12 hour shift before I did this, and I actually just got in from another 12 and I'm punchy and writing this.) and, if everything looks disheveled, my cat just pounced on the window and nearly killed himself, knocking everything. I lost the vase, I saved the Uke. Good choice.)
So, here it is in a nutshell,
1) I'm a ukulele player for 1 1/2 weekish... I suck royally. I acknowladge this and strive to improve myself.
2)I won't lie-- I'm not broke. I'm just saving up for a wedding-- My wedding, so any other Uke's could potentially cut into my very strict budget (Uke or Great Aunt Wanda in law.... hrmm... I know my choice, but since its a 'team' thing... Oy. Sorry Uke, Wanda's in.:eek:
3) I wanna busk. On the Staten island ferry. My kiwi is rather buzzy when played loud and even that is not too loud. I've heard tenors can put out more sound-- And a pickup with an amp can't hurt :) Apparantly on the entire Ukulele Underground, me and menehunenyc are the only people in NY! We're all NYC has! We've got to get the Uke movement started!
4) Truth be told, aside from all of this, which does sound a bit much, even to me (although its true... even the busking-- I can be either something awesome... or a totally awesome chubby uke playing target for tomatoes) I'd love that uke, and give it a good home. And, I'd get good. If I progress at the rate I am now, I'll be a phenom in about a decade or so. With 2 ukes, I could practice twice as much, therefore becoming another seeso or howlinhobbit or (dare say) GX in a measley 60 months!

Ok, thats enough of the punchy rant :)
Good luck to all who have petitioned GX, and I know any of us will give that uke a wonderful new home, and all the love it could ever need. (but I could do it better hehe.)

Thanks guys!
This is Captain Cashew logging off!:cool:

My Entry

I'm sorry, I don't have access to a video camera or web cam, so I can't perform my entry for you. But I'm sure you're familiar with the song...:p

to the tune of Ukulele Lady

A do-dooooo. A do-dooooo.
I saw the splendor of the tenor in the Ghetto Giveaway.
There's something special ‘bout the tenor in the Ghetto Giveaway.
And in the forum there is a quorum
who should the uke belong?
And in the glimmer of the cedar
they love to sing this song.

If you want a ukulele lady,
you had bettah go an' write a tune
If you want to fingerpick a Pono,
you had bettah make it snappy, too.

If you give me your ukulele
I can promise ever to be true,
and play no other ukulele when I ukulele with you.

Maybe I'll sigh, maybe I'll cry,
Maybe you'll choose somebody else
by and by-y-y
and give your Pono ukulele,
to some crazy wicky wackie from the U-U.
But if you give me your ukulele,
ukulele lady like a you.

thanks much and good luck to all :)

Last edited:
Hey tuscadero - are you related to Pinky and Leather?

Well, they're sisters, so if I were related to one, I'd be related to both, right?? Let's say I'm more like Leather than Pinky, she was the musician after all.

Alrighty! The time has come to close out the ghetto giveaway. Any posts after this one will not be considered for this giveaway.

I'd like to thank you guys for the participation. The truth is that I'm sure many of you who expressed interest in the Pono cedar top would make a good new owner for the uke. Unfortunately I only have this one to give, so I understand I end up disappointing many of you. For that I apologize. Hopefully it's worth it to help out one person with a nice ukulele though.

I've played this Pono cedar top quite a bit over the last week and I must say I'm proud to be giving this one away. Despite the cosmetic flaws, it really has a nice booming sound. Whoever end up with it should be happy. If you caught the pics I put on the "uke p***" thread, you would know that the PTC's replacement is the Pono Ebony Dlx. Right now I would definitely have to say the PTC is the superior sounding uke. At least when I compare the two.

Anyway, I'll take a couple of days to think about who to give it to and will probably announce it either late night on Sunday or sometime during the day on Monday. Again, thanks for the interest.:D

I'm sure anyone would give this beauty a good new home.. I like the idea of using a this new uke to free up an old one to share with others who you're teaching, a la Davoomac, tripl3, and adelle.... I can certainly feel for Noline and his bum luck... and I really liked Jello's song, I hope you make some more vids!

How you end up choosing a winner is beyond me. Good luck to you all and thanks GX9901 for keeping the spirit growing!

Haha, I don't know how I'm going to pick a winner either. It's just going to be a gut feeling thing, I think. Hopefully I don't end up with a bunch of negative karma points afterwards.:p

Hey Heres My entry!

My name is Justin. I think that I deserve this Ukulele because I will give it love and care and certainly a lot of devoted time. At this time I go to Venice High School. Being a student comes with the constant burden of always being broke and needing money [and a ukulele!] I think that I’m at the point where I have surpassed the capabilities my current ukulele has to offer. I am a fan of Jake Shimabukuro so… that’s automatic points right there. I think I deserve this Ukulele. What do you think>? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppwa1RVRwIA

Justin

Justin -

• Everyone here is a fan of Jake on some level :eek: no extra points.
  • Nice video :love: +1 point
  • Not submitting entry on time :( -1 point

GX9901 is a generous man but we'll have to see if he disqualifies you or not. Either way, welcome to UU.

haha. thanks.

I'm sure he'll understand why it was late.

YouTube was being weird. The first time I uploaded it, it said that the title of my video was to complicated. Ukulele Contest? to complicated? lol. But yeah thats when I tried to up load it at like 10:30. The second time it took a really long time...

Jake Shimabukuro!

l_23b0bb4e7b5c20ba9c2b7eb8f5740315.jpg

Haha, I hope i'm not too late for this because I'm gonna bare my soul! Sorta.

This is my first post here (I admit I feel bad that it isn't something that actually contributes to the community). I just started playing the ukulele a couple weeks ago since I moved to the mainland from Hawai'i in order to attend law school (in SF)...I mean, I'm from the mainland US originally, but I lived in Hawai'i for five years first to get my BA and then to bum around for a year :)

But now I'm back in an in-between place (in NH!) with a lot of time on my hands and am desperately missing Hawai'i. So, I decided to take up the uke. I bought a Harmony baritone off craigslist (check it out here: http://flickr.com/photos/bsting/2479341058/) and am totally in love. It was the only ukulele available here via craigslist, and I thought it was a good start. I've tuned it gCEA with the appropriate strings.....but! It is kind of guitar-y and I'm posting here because I could use something a little more uke-y and can't afford (well, justify) to buy anything and would feel guility doing so because I do love my baritone. But, I would really like to have something smaller with a pickup in it..

Umm here's the part where I bare my soul. I don't have any video recording equipment, but here's my rendition of across the universe in a recording a made when I first got the uke. Listening to it now is damn painful. I swear I've improved. I'm currently working on When My Guitar Gently Weeps (overdone but hey, it's fun), and was going to record it but thought you might appreciate that I'm posting something I'm scared to share.

http://thisisambika.com/music/acrosstheuniverse.mp3

Thanks for listening to/reading me :) From my browsing, this has to be one of the kindest most laid back internet forums I've ever encountered and it makes me love the uke more!

Last edited:
after todays meetup, I experienced the reality of how crappy my uke really is. LOL!

Great Pono Uke

I've got a Lanikai Concert, looking for a nice tenor. Considering Pono. Been playing uke about 3 years. I play a variety of styles, but also play SLIDE uke. Sorry, no videos of me. Will give it a good home. Thanks for the opportunity.

This contest is officially over! good luck to all those who entered and a big thank you to GX9901 for being a generous man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom