Eleuke is Developing a Steel String Ukulele...What do you think?

Well, coming from the perspective of someone with a lot of eletric guitars and gear coming and going through my house... any time you start getting into fully electric instruments, people are going to be looking for upgrades, better strings, better pick ups, bigsbies, etc... that's standard fair. If these new breeds of electric ukes are going to be able to keep up with that frame of mind, that's going to have to be something they weigh in on. People are already looking at the right effects to run their A/Es through.. imagine where we'll be in the next couple years with electric ukes. Hopefully we'll get someone who starts making pedals that are geared toward them. Or at least the standby manufacturers making more of their products adjustable toward them.

I'm all for having steel string electric ukes. My only point is personal: I think that I would have a tendency to play it like I do a guitar. What makes my approach to uke different is having a nylon-string instrument with re-entrant tuning, because I've been an electric guitarist for many years. If a steel-string electric uke opens up new sonic doors for you, then more power to ya! I'll stick with trad ukes for my own purposes - which includes staying away from my usual electric guitar shtick. I'd love to see what some of you manage to do with a steel string electric uke.

That being said, I really want an eleuke or a Fluke SB. I'm leaning toward the eleuke, but I'm in no position to buy one right now.

Well, coming from the perspective of someone with a lot of eletric guitars and gear coming and going through my house... any time you start getting into fully electric instruments, people are going to be looking for upgrades, better strings, better pick ups, bigsbies, etc... that's standard fair. If these new breeds of electric ukes are going to be able to keep up with that frame of mind, that's going to have to be something they weigh in on. People are already looking at the right effects to run their A/Es through.. imagine where we'll be in the next couple years with electric ukes. Hopefully we'll get someone who starts making pedals that are geared toward them. Or at least the standby manufacturers making more of their products adjustable toward them.

I'm not sure how much of a need there would be to have effects products specifically for steel-string electric ukes.
They work with electric guitar equipment in the exact same way (I suppose some would even say they are electric guitars).
Perhaps with so many guitar effects available, there is no need to re-invent the wheel?

I'm not sure how much of a need there would be to have effects products specifically for steel-string electric ukes.
They work with electric guitar equipment in the exact same way (I suppose some would even say they are electric guitars).
Perhaps with so many guitar effects available, there is no need to re-invent the wheel?

True.. but if you think about it... there are a lot of effects that work well with specific guitars. Why wouldn't there be some that work well with electric ukes?

My fingers hurt just thinking about it. I'm perfectly content with my Nylgut strung Eleuke pineapple, but that's just me.

Well, the Risa steel string has been easier on my fingers than I anticipated.
It is steel, so it's a bit more than nylon - I was sore for a few days.
But it is not as bad as a steel-string electric guitar (which acoustic guitarists already consider soft on the fingers lol).

Still looking forward to some pics!

I'll be getting something pretty quick, thinking about the Risa Electric that looks like a bean if I can find a good deal on one.

S.

any updates Eleuke?

Philip, the manufactuer, is still sourcing factories for the different components. This is a little more difficult than it sounds. Unfortunately, that's the only update I've got for you.

it should have a magnetiv pickup i think :) good idea with steel strings

Was looking through Eleuke's catalog and saw this...

Screenshot2010-09-29at95008PM.png

Screenshot2010-09-29at95024PM.png

As far as I know, Elixir does not make nylon strings...looks like these are the new steel string Eleukes!

that purple one is exactly what i want!

I'd love a tenor scale uke with two humbuckers, a 3-way switch, and a tone and a volume pot. Geared tuners are a must, preferably sealed.

Also an adjustable truss rod in the neck would be good. Even a non-adjustable one would work I guess. But a truss rod is really needed in my opinion.

I also like a natural finish that lets the wood be seen, but a nice paint job is fine too.

Presumeably one could string the uke either GCEA or DGBE by switching the string gauges.

Woohoo!

I'd love a tenor scale uke with two humbuckers, a 3-way switch, and a tone and a volume pot. Geared tuners are a must, preferably sealed.

Also an adjustable truss rod in the neck would be good. Even a non-adjustable one would work I guess. But a truss rod is really needed in my opinion.

I also like a natural finish that lets the wood be seen, but a nice paint job is fine too.

Presumeably one could string the uke either GCEA or DGBE by switching the string gauges.

Woohoo!

This already exists, but it comes at a price (Risa) :)
I love DGBE tuning on my Risa steel string electrics.

I hope I could add some Eleuke steel strings to my collection when they're out. Hopefully they would be more affordable than the Risa's (fingers crossed)

This already exists, but it comes at a price (Risa) :)
I love DGBE tuning on my Risa steel string electrics.

I hope I could add some Eleuke steel strings to my collection when they're out. Hopefully they would be more affordable than the Risa's (fingers crossed)

I have a Risa with single coil lipstick pickups, but would love a humbucker tenor! I also tune my Risa DGBE.
The Les Paul version of the Risa is way too expensive for me though these days!

Oo, I also have my lipstick Risa tuned to DGBE..
I also intend to get the same done to my Les paul, because I'm preferring this tuning
What strings did you use? I used the EADG strings from a 9 gauge D'addario set, and I got it nicely setup by the local guitar tech.

The humbuckers do sound quite different from the single coils. Sounds more powerful and fuller as you would expect from humbuckers. The signal is also much cleaner (it bucks the hum).

ps: @ Eleukes, it's a bit of a disappointment that they're sticking with piezo pickups, not magnetic pickups. Almost defeats the purpose of having a steel string electric IMO.

Last edited:
Oo, I also have my lipstick Risa tuned to DGBE..
I also intend to get the same done to my Les paul, because I'm preferring this tuning
What strings did you use? I used the EADG strings from a 9 gauge D'addario set, and I got it nicely setup by the local guitar tech.

The humbuckers do sound quite different from the single coils. Sounds more powerful and fuller as you would expect from humbuckers. The signal is also much cleaner (it bucks the hum).

ps: @ Eleukes, it's a bit of a disappointment that they're sticking with piezo pickups, not magnetic pickups. Almost defeats the purpose of having a steel string electric IMO.

I have to agree with you about the piezo's! I didn;t realize they were making a steel string uke with a piezo! (why, why, why?????)

I used D'Addario lights or mediums (I can't remember which), using the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th string for DGBE tuning - I can take a look at the strings wehen I get home and be able to tell you. I had to adjust the bridge a bit to make the action and intonation proper!

If thats it then I'm disappointed! All those suggestions and idea, and all the waiting about for nothing. It is essentially just one of their current models with steel strings and a truss rod!? We can only hope this is a quick release before they launch a proper model!? Why steel strings and no magnetic pick-ups? It's like laces on flip-flops... whats the point?

Top Bottom