Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's say you wanted to celebrate with an impulse-buy budget uke

Lightbulb Let's say you wanted to celebrate with an impulse-buy budget uke

What would you choose? I loves me some aqua Kala tenor, basically because I think that retro aqua is cool, but what in and around that price range would you go for? I've been eying the Kala jazz-tenor because I played one and it was too cool for school - but as I played it unplugged in a pub, I couldn't tell ya much about the sound because it's not a loud uke unplugged. I do have an amp though. The jazz tenor is more than I want to spend, but...it's so cool.

So what cheap n cheerful (probably laminate) sweet sounding tenor or concert uke would be on your impulse-buy list?

I don't think I've made a non-impulse ukulele purchase yet.

LOL, then you should be good at helping me spend my money. I prefer buying from MGM because with the setups on these budget ukes, you just never know, and he's an online seller who sets it up for ya.

If I was making a cheap impulse buy, I'd go for one of those Ohana sopraninos. I guess if it has to be a concert of tenor, perhaps another Ohana such as the plastic back/spruce top concert. I've never played any Ohana ukes and am a bit curious about them.

My problem lately has been that the impulse buys have been very costly...
    Visit the ukulele ghetto

Too many ukes!: W. King ls-tenor; W. King ls-concert; Kamaka tenor; Koa Works tenor; KoAloha Pineapple Sunday; Dasilva Santo repro; Aaron Taylor tenor; Kiwaya KTS-7; Kanile'a custom SS; Kepasa Gypsy Rose; Bluegrass cigar box tenor; Collings UC-1; Bushman cedartone baritone; Glyph Mezzo Soprano "Mini-Jake"; Kala acacia pocket; Mya-Moe Concert Tradition; Epiphone Les Paul; Martin C1K

Quote Originally Posted by deach View Post
    I don't think I've made a non-impulse ukulele purchase yet.
    This is why all my ukulele purchase seem to be made at three a.m., after hours of ebay "window shopping."

hmmm from MGM, Kala Mango or maybe the Tahitian ukulele for a change of pace.

I thought about that Kala Mango, but in that Kala black tenor review from a UU member that slips my mind at the moment, he mentioned the tuning pegs were very short on the Mango, and that the problem was corrected by Kala on the black tenor. That makes me go "hmmmm" about the Mango. Anyone have experience with that one way or the other?

Quote Originally Posted by Plainsong View Post
    I thought about that Kala Mango, but in that Kala black tenor review from a UU member that slips my mind at the moment, he mentioned the tuning pegs were very short on the Mango, and that the problem was corrected by Kala on the black tenor. That makes me go "hmmmm" about the Mango. Anyone have experience with that one way or the other?
    WS64 just got one.

One of these screen-printed sopranos, maybe.

Like the Pineapple (BIN $77.97):

Or the Kiwi (BIN $72.96):

These Santini F-hole ukuleles look cool.

Like this one in a cherry finish (BIN $54.95):

They also make this funky triangle uke (BIN $54.95):

This one's intriguing. A hand-made Hawaiian soprano with bearclaw pine top, Koa back and Mahogany sides. Unknown maker! OooooOOooOo...

Current bid: $61.00

Thread Information