Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Fingers!

yeah as David said.. Davoomac, just use your middle finger and mute the bottom string, thats my way.. my fingers are like.. from my nuckle... "wheres a ruler in my house!!" umm from the start of the z key on the keyboard to the start of the m believe it or not.. looks big but if u do it yourself it isnt that big..

but my advice - middle finger/mute a string.

*edit*
    sorry... almost at the end of the n key, re-measured ^^

Hey Frank, I use my middle finger as well. As your fingers get in better shape you'll be able to barre cleanly every time. Takes some practice though. Happy strumming....
    Haha. No, your mother plays a "mini guitar". This is an ooo kooo le le. Can u say that with me?.....

You have 3 notes and 4 strings so you are doubling one of the notes in a chord. An easy D chord to hold is 2225. You can barre the 2nd fret with your index or index and middle for support and play the D note 5th fret A string with your pinky (2225).

You have 3 notes in a D chord D,F# and A. With the regular shape you play A, D, F#and A (2220). With the other you have 2 D's.

Quote Originally Posted by TokyoUketarist View Post
    You have 3 notes and 4 strings so you are doubling one of the notes in a chord. An easy D chord to hold is 2225. You can barre the 2nd fret with your index or index and middle for support and play the D note 5th fret A string with your pinky (2225).

You have 3 notes in a D chord D,F# and A. With the regular shape you play A, D, F#and A (2220). With the other you have 2 D's.
    In a lot of cases I prefer playing D this way, just because I think it sounds more "interesting" since it includes two D notes an octave apart.

But that said you should definitely learn the 2220 fingering as well, because that's a really useful moveable chord shape and it'll help you in the long run.

thank's for all the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by UkeNinja View Post
    I'm sure you already checked, but this thread has some great tips for that dreaded D-chord. Not to spoil the surprise, but it's about steel piping and push-ups
    As pointed out, I had various issues with this chord. Just practice alot, and walk around with a handy peice of steel piping haha.

Just don't give up and keep rocking!

Ok the push ups are going well, I am exercising my thumbs, stretching my ring finger and the local blacksmith has been very helpful with just the right angle of steel and D is beginning to form for me...

...but I have a problem with the E chord.

Seen the pictures of Chords in 'Nursery Rhymes for little Ukulele players' and I'm getting nowhere. I was starting to get lost in frustation and shame until I saw this thread (thankyou!)

I am guessing the answer is 'practice' but if anyone has a magic wand out there I'd love to hear the solution.

How can I make the E easy?

Jack33

Quote Originally Posted by Keonikapila View Post
    But that said you should definitely learn the 2220 fingering as well, because that's a really useful moveable chord shape and it'll help you in the long run.
    Yeppers. Learning to partial barre it with the ring finger is the way to go.

(Now where's my bent pipe? I need some more practice.)
    Howlin' Hobbit -- Ukulele Ace
    Howlin' on Twitter, YouTube, Bandcamp

Well, I taught myself ukulele for a couple of months before finding any helpful sights. I started out with a concert size, and I assumed you play a D by placing your ring finger over the second frets on G C and E. This is also why I'm a little afraid of posting videos. Will people judge?

Now that I've got a tenor and a baritone I could do the chord correctly but it's just how I play it now. I'm sure I do a lot of chords wrong :P

(my band, not something dirty)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    Well, I taught myself ukulele for a couple of months before finding any helpful sights. I started out with a concert size, and I assumed you play a D by placing your ring finger over the second frets on G C and E. This is also why I'm a little afraid of posting videos. Will people judge?

Now that I've got a tenor and a baritone I could do the chord correctly but it's just how I play it now. I'm sure I do a lot of chords wrong :P
    As long as the notes are right, there's no wrong way to play a chord. Do what works for you.

Thread Information