Beginner Guitar Book Help

I don't have any book suggestions, but if he'd be into internet video lessons http://justinguitar.com/ has a lot of content for free. A subscription service with tons of content is http://jamplay.com.

-Scott

I second the JustinGuitar.com suggestion. There's some really good instruction there and it's all free. He also sells DVDs if you're into that.

If the Idiot's Guide hasn't been mentioned yet, it's by Frederic Noad and is great, with a little bit of everything as far as style. I'm also liking 100 Tips For Blues Guitar (You Should have Been Told) by David Mead as really useful. It's very basic and the best so far for me in trying to start wrapping my head around the blues. It starts from a basic beginner perspective and has a ton of insight into overall playing technique.

I second the JustinGuitar.com suggestion. There's some really good instruction there and it's all free. He also sells DVDs if you're into that.

Have you heard that Justin was required to remove several of his song lessons for copyright violations?

If the Idiot's Guide hasn't been mentioned yet, it's by Frederic Noad and is great, with a little bit of everything as far as style.
Are you sure you're not confusing him with someone else? Noad was a classical guitarist. As far as I know, he never dabbled in other styles and never published anything with the word idiot in the title.

I think that How to Play Guitar is probably the most comprehensive and "do-able" book for new guitar players. Gets good reviews and covers many styles of playing.

If you're both still looking, a gift certificate to a music store with a wide variety of guitar books might be the thing.

Each of us seems to need our own personal approach(es) to music and method, and it can take some time, trial and error to figure out what works. I'm still working it out, myself.

With a gift certificate, he can sample 'em before taking 'em home. (That, or get a capo, instead. I found out, long before I expected to need one, that a lot of my favorite songs require capo-ing. Prices for books and capos are in roughly the same range.)

Top Bottom