Help with scales

empty_hand

Reaction score
Is there any where I can find information on how to play the Phrygian dominant and double harmonic scales on the 'uke?.. My music theory isn't that brilliant so it's difficult to understand information on the internet and apply it to the 'ukulele... I know this isn't exactly the most common of scales and I'd appreciate any help.

Cheers to all

Phrygian dominant goes:

Root, b2, 3, 4, 5, b6, b7

Double harmonic is

flat 2nd, major 3rd, perfect 4th and 5th, minor 6th, 7th

If you Google them (like I had to, as I don't know either off the top of my head!) you'll find that there are Wikip entries for both.

Ahh, Google... Always the last place you look haha ;).. Any ideas where I can get some chord diagrams of these scales for the 'uke?.. Cheers mate

Wow. I'd never heard of those scales either. Cool!

I'm not sure if this is the "correct" way to play them, but here they are in C, both ascending and descending:

Code:
Phrygian Dominant:

A--------------1-3----3-1--------------
E------0-1--------------------1-0------
C--0-1----------------------------1-0--
G----------0-1------------1-0----------

Double Harmonic:

A--------------2-3----3-2--------------
E------0-1--------------------1-0------
C--0-1----------------------------1-0--
G----------0-1------------1-0----------

Note that the only difference between the two is the seventh scale degree. It's flat in the former and natural in the latter.

JJ

Brilliant... Thanks a lot for your help hey... These are the kind of notes I've been improvising with lately and it's good to know some theory behind what I'm doing. Mix in a few of these scales and you can get a really beautiful Middle Eastern sound.

Top Bottom