Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Radius Dish on a Pedestal drill experiment.

Thanks Chris for the sanding link

yer- thats where i got both my guitar dishes (although i thought i paid more)- those free matching gauges are really handy too.

Definitely get the guitar sized dishes for the above reasons- glueing multiple things at once, with room to contour sand braces.

Also, definitely glue to thick ply and seal with a tin of poly for stability (that MDF sure soaks it up)- i had a dish in Australia that was sealed by not glued to a backing board and it cupped badly ;(- $110 down the drain, which is a factor expressed in the below post- radius dishes are EXPENSIVE if you live outside to US.
    Last edited by Beau Hannam Ukuleles; 01-30-2013 at 08:38 AM. Reason: new paragraph

Default Kmg

Chris - thanks for that link!
    The problem with buying relatively large & heavy items from the States, is that shipping charges and import duty/handling fees do bump up the cost quite significantly. If I could buy them in the UK for the equivalent of $48 believe me I would! Last time I checked, I could not find anyone in the UK selling them at all, hence the DIY.
    Cheers
    Paul

Default Improvements to set up for 2nd dish

Just a note to assist anyone intending to follow this method to make their own radius dishes:

I made a couple of improvements to my set up, and making my second dish (22ft radius) went a lot more smoothly than the first.

1) I sorted out the arbor loosening problem with a new 10mm item with lock washer & lock nut as shown in the photo.

2) I added an anti dish chatter device in the form of a scrap piece of ply clamped above the dish, using a dish offcut as a spacer. Applies just enough pressure to keep the chattering at bay when advancing the sanding disc, but the dish can still be rotated easily.

3) I made a new baseplate that did not overhang the drill table, and paid more attention to accurately positioning the spacer. I also used a half thickness spacer at the centreline to stop baseplate distortion.

The result was a dish that was much closer to the intended depth, though still apparently 1mm too deep. It turns out this is due to the dish "cupping". The previously flat piece of MDF was no longer flat on the back. So ... I glued and clamped it back to back with the first dish, which had the same issue. Net result is both dishes are now within 1 ft of their intended radius, which I am happy with.

Thanks again for the thread Ken.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Wildestcat; 02-04-2013 at 07:09 AM.
    Cheers
    Paul

Thread Information