Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is UAS grounds for divorce?

Default Is UAS grounds for divorce?

I've been watching eBay pretty closely lately, as I've been out of work with a bad back sprain for the last week. As luck would have it, I've found not one, but two ukes that I'm tempted to bid on. Both auctions end in a matter of days.

Both are used, both are not usually found on eBay, and (of course) I think they can both be had at good prices. That's the good news.

The bad news is that she'd likely kill me. We're not talking huge $$ here, she's just not keen on my uke hobby. A third uke I'm watching may be the best deal yet....but it will be big bucks. I've written that one off.

Is it indeed better to beg forgiveness than to ask for permission? Should I just pass? Bid on one and not the other? Or bid on both and take my lumps after the fact?

UAS is killing me, and eBay isn't helping at all....
    Things get better with age. I'm approaching magnificent....

Kala KA-SC :: Sapele /ebony soprano, handmade :: Kiwaya K-Wave Tele Uke :: Big Island KTO-TR :: Lanikai LU-8EK :: Eastman concert prototype :: vintage banjolele :: Mainland gloss mahogany concert

"And if you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there..." - George Harrison

"Just a few ukulele hooligans getting wild and strummy...." - chindog

5:2576

Spouse before musical instruments... lol.

Your wife is far more important than acquiring things. If you seriously believe it will be a major issue it's time to lay off the eBay.
    1:99
    The PoHo Store

We've got a ukulele cool that can't be faked. -hoosierhiver
    ...if being a good person was easy no one would be a dick. -skitzic
    I have no issues with bluntness, but being an asshat is not being blunt, it's just being an asshat. -austin1

Melissa....

She's the love of my life, and I'd do anything for her. But if I gave her the chance, she'd ask me to give up the uke altogether. I don't want to irritate her, but I don't want to quit being "me", either. I guess another altenative would be to talk it over with her beforehand, in the hopes of getting a green light to bid. The problem with that scenario is the possibility of making her mad without even having done anything....

If I could buy those two at auction, I'd be willing to sell my soprano. But, then again, money really isn't the issue here.
    Things get better with age. I'm approaching magnificent....

Kala KA-SC :: Sapele /ebony soprano, handmade :: Kiwaya K-Wave Tele Uke :: Big Island KTO-TR :: Lanikai LU-8EK :: Eastman concert prototype :: vintage banjolele :: Mainland gloss mahogany concert

"And if you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there..." - George Harrison

"Just a few ukulele hooligans getting wild and strummy...." - chindog

5:2576

Why doesn't she like the uke?

similar boat to you my friend my advise would be to not to ask she will say no!!

that said you must have a spend up to point where price is not important? (i will spend $60 without thinking but dare not spend $100)
    find out what she will let you play with (that sounded a lot more dodgey than it was meant to).
    also might have to sell of some ukes to enable a new purchase. how these people get ten+ ukes into their houses i don't know.

Cliff

A friend of mine with Guitar Acquisition Syndrome told me a new guitar for him means a new Coach purse for his wife. Maybe you can reach detente with your spouse in a similar fashion.

I have been married for 42 years......it's always easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission!!!! Go for it!!!!
    Lanikai S-T
    Life is not about coping with the storms; It's about learning how to dance in the rain!!!

Can a one armed hula girl tell the whole story???????

You two sound like excellent candidates for The Marriage Ref! (Sienfeld's new show...)
    Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana - Two octaves and the truth!

http://www.youtube.com/ukecantdothat

Quote Originally Posted by jvann View Post
    A friend of mine with Guitar Acquisition Syndrome told me a new guitar for him means a new Coach purse for his wife. Maybe you can reach detente with your spouse in a similar fashion.
    I think that sounds like a good idea. It would make a nice compromise. However, if you think that buying more ukes is going to cause a serious problem, you might wanna hold off for a while. After all, a divorce might mean that she gets half your ukes... But in all seriousness, (and I don't really know the dynamics of your relationship, so it's kinda hard to judge) if buying ukuleles is causing a rift in your relationship, I'd try to fight the UAS for now.

And I second Mellisa's question: what exactly does she not like about the uke? Maybe if you resolved that issue with her, then buying more ukes wouldn't be such a problem?

Thread Information