Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Is UAS grounds for divorce?

It would pay to agree on another Ukulele rather that just getting one. Plus figure out an allowance for both of you to do what ever you want with it. Fortunately went I met my wife she realized I was a collector so she prepared herself for my madness. I have 16 Ukuleles of my own and she decided to join me in the fun so I got her one of her own- which I'm not allowed to touch. LOL I let her know my interest in purchasing something and we discuss it first. Sometimes I don't get whet I want but most the time it works out better and there is something better waiting in the wings. Such as the Santa Cruz 000 I just got for under a grand. Had to refinish the top, pull all the fret and plane the fret board but now I have a 4000.00 guitar I've always wanted for a fraction of the price. Had to give a Larrivee Koa parlor guitar. Glad I did!
    You might sit down with her and ask her why she doesn't like Ukulele playing? Tell her how much music means to you. And be prepared to not coming to a solution too. Bummer but its far better to have someone to love than another thing.
    Music is found in the spaces between the notes- in the silence between the chords. Get your spaces right, and you've got it. Albert Greenfield

Okay....time for an update. As you all know, I didn't even consider bidding on the big ticket uke, the Martin, and it has since sold. Of the two ukes I did want to bid on, I decided to pass on the Bushman to increase whatever chances I might have to come to an agreement with my better half. Last night we had a talk....

She was not at all in favor of another uke. She did stop well short of getting angry, and said she appreciated the fact that I didn't buy it without discussing it with her first. I tried to explain to her why I wanted it, given that "you can only play one uke at a time". She still doesn't understand it. I offered to impose a limit on how many ukes I own at once, meaning that a new purchase beyond the limit would require something else to get sold. We couldn't quite agree on that, as she thought a reasonable number would be two. I did suggest that I could sell my soprano if I were to buy this uke on eBay.

After talking about it for some time as we lay in bed, she fell asleep. We never came to a firm agreement. She was gone to work when I got up.

The auction will end before she gets home. I decide to place a bid, and I have. One-time bid, no upping the ante at the end of the auction. If I get the uke, great. If I don't, then so be it. Now its time to chew my fingernails and wait....
    Things get better with age. I'm approaching magnificent....

Kala KA-SC :: Sapele /ebony soprano, handmade :: Kiwaya K-Wave Tele Uke :: Big Island KTO-TR :: Lanikai LU-8EK :: Eastman concert prototype :: vintage banjolele :: Mainland gloss mahogany concert

"And if you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there..." - George Harrison

"Just a few ukulele hooligans getting wild and strummy...." - chindog

5:2576

Don't chew so hard that your fingertips bleed. Then you wouldn't be able to play -- too painful.

Good luck with your bid and your wife.

Good luck! With everything!
    Purple Makala Dolphin : Mahalo Camp Uke : Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple Porthos : Lanikai O8-E Honey : Mainland Red Cedar Soprano Panties : Ohana Sopranino Short Round : Islander Soprano : Mainland Mahogany Tenor Tank Jr : Kala KM-FMB : Makai PK-55 Inspiration : Vintage Blackstone Baritone : Bluegrass Cedar top Tenor : Zebrawood Fishuku

Quote Originally Posted by mailman View Post
    She still doesn't understand it. I offered to impose a limit on how many ukes I own at once, meaning that a new purchase beyond the limit would require something else to get sold. We couldn't quite agree on that, as she thought a reasonable number would be two. I did suggest that I could sell my soprano if I were to buy this uke on eBay.

After talking about it for some time as we lay in bed, she fell asleep. We never came to a firm agreement. She was gone to work when I got up.
    She can't accept that different things make different people happy, she can't compromise, and she controls the conversation by conveniently falling asleep, and getting up early the next morning. Sounds to me as if she's trying to bully you into giving in to her control.
    --- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- ---
    Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
    Join the Vita ukulele group
    Join the Brüko ukulele owners group

Good luck with it. To sane people (they don't come here), two ukuleles is probably enough, so, you might think about just getting a nicer two than collecting a bunch of less desirable ones. That said, I used to work for the State. Whenever employees would come in and ask me if they could do something which may have been against the encyclopedia sized set of rules we had, but otherwise harmless, I would often reply, "If I told you you can't, would you be very unhappy?" If they said yes, I would tell them not to ask me.

A lot of us men have been in the "talked to her about it, until she fell asleep, and got up early and left the next morning," situation - just not usually about ukes lol. If you figure out how to solve that one in one night, you could be very rich.

Also see this "Dear Abbey" thread, and remember the sign in the kitchen that says, When Momma ain't happy - aint nobody happy."
    Last edited by SweetWaterBlue; 03-15-2010 at 06:12 AM.

If you get a divorce, she'll get half your ukes, then she'll get UAS by default. She'll be playing you a song out your window saying she was sorry with your old uke. It always works out for the best.

You know, now that you already talked to her about it with an actual "no result" - it might be a bigger deal if you went ahead and bought it now because she didn't give you a "go for it". It might have been easier to just ask forgiveness later! Now it is "you talked to me but you meant to do it anyway whether I said yes or no!". Sorry . . . it is the whole "buy for me" vs "buy for us" thing . . . I think writing a song for her is a great idea! That might give the ukulele some redeeming qualities in her mind!

My idea of buying it and giving it to her was a bad one. Homer's bowling ball was a clear parallel! I'm not sure what I'd do in your situation. Very complex. I have the feeling we are watching a plane crashing into a mountain, powerless to stop it! Good luck...
    -Josh
    (twitter)

Ukes: Mainland concert mahogany w/slotted headstock and Mi-Si; Fluke tenor (mango); Kamaka vintage Gold Label pineapple (restored); Applause UAE20 Acoustic-Electric Deluxe Mini Ukulele, Adamas Red
    Guitars: 1991 Fender Strat Ultra (sunburst), Ibanez acoustic, Yamaha classical 3/4

One last piece of free advice, from a guy married over 30 years to the same wife. Whatever you do, do not tell her you have been discussing it here, and God forbid she ever reads these posts.

Thread Information