Please help me write a news article!

noah_clinnson

Reaction score
I am taking a journalism course and for our term paper I have to write a trend or social issue story. So, I've decided to write on the ukulele as a growing trend and it would be beneficial for me to have input from across the country/ world to strengthen my article. I constructed a simple survey that asks general questions towards what I am looking for. If I could get some people to do this for me that would be really great, you can post a reply or send me a pm if you don't want to have your email on display,
the only reason I ask for email is because my professor is known to fact check, you might have to confirm that you are a real person, pretty much, but I don't think you would hear from her. But here it is:

(thank you if you decide to fill this out, it would really help me out towards finishing the semester)

Name:

When did you start playing ukulele:

What influenced you to start playing ukulele:

For you personally, What set’s ukulele apart from other instruments:

Do you think ukulele is becoming a trend or a serious endeavor for musicians and non-musicians alike:

Do you consider yourself an expert, if so explain credentials:

(thank you if you decide to fill this out, it would really help me out towards finishing the semester)

Name: mailman
College/High School/ residency: Rochester, NY
When did you start playing ukulele: January, 2009

What influenced you to start playing ukulele: YouTube videos, particularly Julia Nunes and Jake Shimabukaru

For you personally, What set’s ukulele apart from other instruments: portability, ease of play

Do you think ukulele is becoming a trend or a serious endeavor for musicians and non-musicians alike: Definitely a trend, but serious endeavor for some

Do you consider yourself an expert, if so explain credentials: Certainly not![/QUOTE]

Skrik

College/High School/ residency:
Huh?

When did you start playing ukulele:
August 2008

What influenced you to start playing ukulele:
Gugug (YouTube) and Jake

For you personally, What set’s ukulele apart from other instruments:
It's small enough to keep to hand, to travel with, to make people smile. Ukuleles are pretty. They are cheap enough to collect. They are cheap enough to give away as presents to almost anyone. Four fingers on the left hand -- four strings.

Do you think ukulele is becoming a trend or a serious endeavor for musicians and non-musicians alike:
Yes. Ukulele music is now even making its way into TV advertising, which shows that the advertising zombies have realised there is something there to be capitalised upon.

Do you consider yourself an expert, if so explain credentials:
I'm just a keen amateur with too much time and money on his hands.

Uncle Rod Higuchi, 61

Seattle, WA, formerly from Honolulu, HI (left in 1966)

6th grade, 1960

Mrs Wong taught the entire class to play the 'ukulele
to perform for other classes.

It's so very portable and rather easy to learn. No respiratory issues
(like sax, etc), and great for group participation. Also, no need for
formal musical notation documentation, just lyrics and chord names.

More so now than before. I believe it's reaching a kind of critical mass
in terms of awareness and availability - world-wide. I'm sure YouTube and
the internet in general, as well as the notoriety of several high-visbility
performers and the sprouting of so many Uke Fests world wide has had
much to do with it's rise in popularity.

No, not an expert. I've been playing the 'ukulele since 6th grade, but not
as a result of formal training (ie tutor, teacher). I've learned mostly by
ear and personal effort. I am a regular moderator/song leader for SUPA,
(seattleukulele.org), and have been involved in creating several of our
songbooks, but my 'expertise', if any, is in the areas of finding chords for
songs and perhaps teaching beginners:
( http://www.4shared.com/file/238560369/b53e047a/Ukulele_Boot_Camp_rev.html
http://www.4shared.com/file/123858410/4f4615dc/Free_Songbook_Master.html ).

Name: sebi

College/High School/ residency: Switzerland

When did you start playing ukulele: November 2008

What influenced you to start playing ukulele: My friend's 8-year-old girl and the fascination of the beautiful instrument we call ukulele.

For you personally, What set’s ukulele apart from other instruments: The beauty of its sound.

Do you think ukulele is becoming a trend or a serious endeavor for musicians and non-musicians alike: It's a trend that will not fade.

Do you consider yourself an expert, if so explain credentials: Nope.

Name: Ben
College/High School/ residency: Concordia University

When did you start playing ukulele: In July

What influenced you to start playing ukulele: I was looking for a good instrument to travel with that was slightly outside of the norm

For you personally, What set’s ukulele apart from other instruments: It's ability to make everyone happy, it's beautifully relaxing sound and the amount of fun it is to play.

Do you think ukulele is becoming a trend or a serious endeavor for musicians and non-musicians alike: I think the current rise in popularity is a trend but it is also a serious endeavor for many. The current popularity will inspire many new lifetime players

Do you consider yourself an expert, if so explain credentials: Not even close to one, but hopefully one day I will be one!

Top Bottom