Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from Dublin, Ireland

Smile Hi from Dublin, Ireland

Hi everyone, I am new here. I have been spying this forum for a while now and have finally registered.
    I am a total beginner, just got my first ukulele (a cheapy Mahalo purple) and cannot NOT play it every single day. I have played piano for 6 years when I was a kid, so I know music theory and the like. I wanted to learn guitar when I was a teenager but my mum thought it is rebellious and wouldn't buy me a guitar.
    But now I realise ukulele is even more rebellious! If being rebellious means being different!
    Soon enough, I also discover that ukulele players are very special, they are not pretentious, they are not 'stereotype ukulele player', if you see what I mean. EVERYONE can play ukulele, it is a cool community.
    No, my mum doesn't know I play ukulele yet, hey, I am a 30 year old married woman, I am not telling!

Aloha alice, e komo mai to UU. Just jump right in if you have questions or even answers. Good to have you here. Tell hubby and mum to join too.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum

I ʻike lākou, ʻo ʻoe, ka mea wale nō nona ka inoa ʻo IĒHOVA;
    ʻO ʻoe nō ka Mea kiʻekiʻe loa ma luna o ka honua a pau.
    Nā Halelū 83:18

Eirie go brach. Welcome to UU. It's easier to hide a ukulele from mum. Tell me, do you eat potatoes everyday?

Hello and welcome to UU! You could always surprise your mum with a youtube video!
    About
    &
    My Papa Dave (Tube)

You don't have to be any good to have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by dhkane View Post
    Eirie go brach. Welcome to UU. It's easier to hide a ukulele from mum. Tell me, do you eat potatoes everyday?
    Well yes and no. I am not actually Irish, I am originally from Hong Kong, my husband is French Canadian, and we lived in France for some years, so we are eating a mix of different things most of the time. (Irish breakfast with chinese noodle, anyone?)

Though, Irish people do eat a lot of potato. When I first arrived to Ireland, I was in total shock of the big selection of different kinds of potatoes in supermarkets. There are at least 10 kinds in my local supermarket. One for bake, one for fry, one for making chips... (not chips in the N. American sense but French fries. My Canadian man and I got mixed up a lot at the beginning, e.g. we could be in a convenient store and ask where the packet of chips are, the man would be looking at us going 'we don't sell chips here...' then we are like, 'oh sorry, I meant crisps...')

So yes and no, I don't eat a lot of potatoes every day, but the Irish generally do, I believe.

Welcome to the UU Alice!
    Last edited by Ukulelerob; 03-22-2010 at 01:33 AM.
    Uke Players Do It With Four Strings.
    YouTube | Facebook
    ...I think life should be a musical... Tammy
    1:25367

Hey welcome to the uke underdround! I'm sure you are gonna like it here... And feel safe too. We won't tell your mom. It's a promise.

Aloha Alice, welcome to the Underground.
    Live Aloha
    ------------------------

------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by alicecat View Post
    I am not actually Irish, I am originally from Hong Kong
    Are you sure? You remind me of a gal from County Cork of the Fahey clan. J/K
    How difficult is it to find good quality rice there? When I lived in Idaho, US I had to drive 125 miles for Rice and shoyu.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum

I ʻike lākou, ʻo ʻoe, ka mea wale nō nona ka inoa ʻo IĒHOVA;
    ʻO ʻoe nō ka Mea kiʻekiʻe loa ma luna o ka honua a pau.
    Nā Halelū 83:18

Welcome Alice, glad to have you aboard!

Thread Information