Got New Flea Uke, Tiki King.

megavox

Reaction score
Hi All
I just got my new Flea, Tiki King and love it. Did not like the Hilo strings and immediately replaced them with Freemont Black Lines. It now SINGS.

Can anyone tell me how to mark the frets on the plastic fretboard so they will be visible, I think I saw something on this here.

Thanks
Megavox

Last edited:
PICS!!!! We need PICS!!!!

I agree, the Fremonts work excellent on the Fleas. They really change the sound from kinda twangy outatoon sounding to precise and clear!

As for the frets, I guess you could try a silver sharpie, or paint pen, but they will wear off where your fingers and strings hit it the most. But you could re-apply I guess.

Enjoy!
Skottoman

Congrats! Those Tiki King Fleas are cool.

I've never done it to my Flea, but I believe that the trick to marking the frets is to mark the fretboard along the edge of the fret, rather than the top of the fret itself. That way the strings and fingers won't rub the paint/Sharpie off as quickly.

Me? I just use it as an excuse to learn to play without looking at the fretboard. :D

JJ

Congratulations. I would use a silver sharpie to draw a line on the backside (toward the head) of each fret. Good luck.

Congrats! I just got my Flea today, too--I went for the natural finish. Right now I can't stop playing long enough to take pics.

I want a Flea bad! But I haven't decided yet which color. Next month I'll be in Denver for a day and plan to stop by The Denver Folklore Center, which I learned carries them. I just want to look at colors... mustn't.... buy... Flea.....yet.....

I want a Flea bad! But I haven't decided yet which color. Next month I'll be in Denver for a day and plan to stop by The Denver Folklore Center, which I learned carries them. I just want to look at colors... mustn't.... buy... Flea.....yet.....

But you WILL!!! (in short time)...and that's the best part...the wait will be worth it.

To everyone who just theirs...congrats...and many years!

As for the fret markers, if you must, but really...not looking is even more fun!

Last edited:
I still watch my fingers quite a bit, but don't find the plastic fretboard on my Fluke to be hard to see at all. Plus, with Aquilas folks will ask if it is fretless, and generally I think it looks wicked cool.

Top Bottom