Hello from Texas!

bwbollom

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I've been lurking here for a while and thought I'd finally sign up and introduce myself. I had a trip for a conference last summer to Oahu and on one of the last days I randomly stopped into Bob's Ukulele while shopping in Waikiki. I had about an hour long conversation with a guy named Vai who was a manager or owner there about the ukulele, Hawaii, and all sorts of stuff. What was supposed to be a 5minute browse through an "interesting shop" turned into a minor obsession...unfortunately, the price of a ukulele was not in my travel budget.

I did some research online after returning home and really got interested in the idea of learning to play. I've never played a string instrument before and the only instruments I have played at all in my life have been the recorder in elementary school and drums in Jr. High band. I had no idea what I might be getting myself into.

A couple of weeks ago I had to make a return trip to Oahu, so of course I made a side trip back to Bob's Ukulele. Vai was working again that day and I reminded him of the conversation we had before. I told him that I was interested in learning to play and he stuck a ukulele in my hands and proceeded to give me about a 30 minute intro lesson! I was pretty terrible, but I was loving every minute :) I couldn't pass up the opportunity to own one and continue to practice and learn more, so I bought a Lanikai from Vai!

I've been reading as much as possible online and watching videos since I returned home. It's been really fun so far and I feel like I'm already getting a little better. It's definitely going to be a long process...I'm totally starting from scratch on this. Zero knowledge going in...no "used to play guitar" or anything like that.

This site has been a big help already and I wanted to thank everyone here for that! I found links to tuners and lots of tabs / chords / etc. through the posts here on the forums and the main site.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Underground.

Welcome-so did you buy the uke he stuck in your hands?

Thank you for the welcomes pithaya9 & Doug W! No, I didn't buy the exact one that he had me playing. I don't remember which it was, but I think it was out of my range. I ended up with the one that he recommended as a low priced, but still good quality, starter ukulele...Lanikai LU-11. Most of the reviews I've found for the lower end Lanikai ukuleles seem to be for the LU-21...not sure what the difference is between those 2 models. It did come with the Aquila Nylgut strings which I hear are better than the standard ones, so that's nice :)

Welcome to UU! What part of Texas are you in? Lot's of players in this state!

Welcome to UU! What part of Texas are you in? Lot's of players in this state!

Hey Rod, thanks for the welcome! I've lived all over TX...Austin currently and for most of the last decade.

Awesome. I went to high school out in Round Rock , pre-Dell. :)

There are a lot of players in Austin. If you ever make it down to SA, let me know, we are always looking to jam. Also, I host an open mic in north SA every other Thursday, more info here:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Open-Mic-w-Bruddah-Rod/323656105867

Again, welcome!

Cool! Round Rock is right down the way...I'm in the N. Austin 183 area. I don't get down to SA very often, but if I do, I'll definitely see if I can hit up an open mic to see you play.

Welcome to the UU !

Top Bottom