Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39

Thread: Beginner songs that utilize C F G7 chords?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
    Check out some beginners books at Musicguymike's or on Amazon. Most Ukulele beginner books use the basic three chords C, F and G7 as they are the easiest to learn.

    Good Luck
    I'll check them out, thanks! I picked up one book while in Hawaii that has been helpful. I checked my local Barnes & Noble yesterday but there were absolutely no ukulele books for sale! I guess we're just not a big uke city, which I understand, but it's still surprising that there were none. I guess online resources and Amazon are the way to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrdr View Post
    my kids' favorite song for a long time, was "on top of Spaghetttttiiiiii, all covered with cheese." I think it starts C-F-C-G7-C
    Awesome! Thanks! I bet that is fun and I want a few that I can play for a class full of kids.

    Quote Originally Posted by salukulady View Post
    Here's 62 two chord songs.
    you can use F and C7 or C and G7 or G and D7. If you don't know the tunes, look them up on youtube. Great practice songs for beginners.
    Wow, sweet! Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by salukulady View Post
    Three chord songs, G, C, and D.

    all shook up
    all together now
    barbara ann
    ballad of john and yoko
    be bop a lula
    bye bye love
    carry that weight
    chantilly lace
    do wah diddy diddy
    hound dog
    give peace a chance
    donna
    409
    get back
    gloria
    great balls of fire
    hang on sloopy
    hanky panky
    i fought the law
    kansas city
    la bamba
    long tall sally
    love me do
    paperback writer
    rock around the clock
    rock this town
    see see rider
    rockin' robin
    save the last dance
    see you later alligator
    shake rattle and roll
    spanish harlem
    stir it up
    stuck on you
    surfin usa
    the twist
    twist and shout
    we can work it out
    wooly bully
    yakety yak
    when will i be loved
    mellow yellow

    Do you know about chordie.com? Most of the above songs you can find there.
    Thanks for all of those! Great collection, lots of excellent songs! I have been to chordie.com, but I didn't really know what I was doing there. I'll have to pick one of the songs, look it up and just explore the site that way a little more instead of getting completely lost like last time Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatGazukes View Post
    Yes Sir Thats my Baby, C, G, G7, C7, F

    and here's the chordie site for you to bookmark huge # of songs that will send you mad eventually ......hint most songs on here will print out with the ukulele chord pics, look left hand side to change from guitar to uke C tuning

    And also give Ring of Fire a whirl, 3 chords C, D, G, its a buzz when you can do the "ring of fire" chorus at speed, but not difficult, and a hint for the D chord, the end of your finger will be over the edge of the fretboard, try and get a feeling for where that point on your finger is, make a mental note, it makes it quicker I think to memorize the chord shape/spot in your brain.

    Happy strumming, I'm not much down the road from you and with no musical background either!!

    Cheers, Tony
    Thanks for the link and info on chordie! I definitely need to get back on there and figure out what I'm doing. Sounds like a great resource. I also really want to learn Ring of Fire...that sounds like a lot of fun I'm having a blast so far even though I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing! When "Twinkle Twinkle" started sounding like an actual song and not like "kerplunk kerplunk" I was shocked! I know I'm not ready to move on to anything difficult, but I'm ready to move on to something easy but a little more fun...something that I could show to friends.

    Thanks to everyone for all of the info! The site was already great when I was just lurking, but now it's basically awesome

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    54,481

    Default

    Remember, any guitar music works on ukulele, same chords just different chord positions. My G, C, D list is from a 3 chord guitar book.
    UWC; only those who have not been can rationalize not going.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arashi_nero View Post
    learn "island style". great hawaiian song and only uses c, g7, f, and c7 chords
    That sounds fun! Definitely going on the list, thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by salukulady View Post
    Remember, any guitar music works on ukulele, same chords just different chord positions. My G, C, D list is from a 3 chord guitar book.
    I never really thought about it, but that completely makes sense. Don't know why I didn't think of that...guess my lack of background in this area is starting to show Thanks...that helps!

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    2,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by salukulady View Post
    Three chord songs, G, C, and D.
    Nice list! These songs could also be played with C, F, and G7 (or plain ol' G) being the "three chords".

    That way you can put off having to learn D for another few days.

    JJ
    "Talent is just a pursued interest. In other words, anything you are willing to practice, you can do." -- Bob Ross

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Learn Am, 1 finger middle finger-G string. Then you will gave C-Am-F-G. easy transitions, and thousands of song, the ultimate in progressions for beginners. Also Chordie will allow you to transpose keys, if you don't know how to transpose, check back, someone will help, it's easy.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Smyrna, Georgia
    Posts
    2,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ukestang View Post
    Learn Am, 1 finger middle finger-G string. Then you will gave C-Am-F-G. easy transitions, and thousands of song, the ultimate in progressions for beginners. Also Chordie will allow you to transpose keys, if you don't know how to transpose, check back, someone will help, it's easy.
    Dittos on the learning to use the transpose tool. Once you do that, you can let chordie transpose most simple 3 chord songs you find in other keys to C, F, G7.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,531

    Default

    You can find some songs here:

    http://www.doctoruke.com/beginners.html

    Keep in mind that there are millions of three chord songs using the I, IV, V chords. If some of them are in a different key, for example G, C, D7, you can easily play them in the key that is comfortable. Sometimes it may not be as good a key to sing, but it is a good way to start.

    Try this as well

    http://www.box.net/shared/qb46mv1nrf

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by salukulady View Post
    Remember, any guitar music works on ukulele, same chords just different chord positions. My G, C, D list is from a 3 chord guitar book.
    I did not know this, i now love you since you have just given me the ability to play all the songs i used to play on guitar.
    That really is cool, i've just spent an hour playing some Hank Williams on the uke from guitar chords
    Tomorrow i shall try some Oasis guitar chords on the uke.
    I am now in your debt
    Last edited by robert dock; 03-29-2010 at 01:29 PM.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    54,481

    Default

    Here's another trick to make you fall in love with me. A trick my first uke teacher taught me. How to transpose a song without using a transpose tool. If your original song is in the key of C and you want it in the key of G, do this:

    Key of C - C D E F G A B C
    Key of G - G A B C D E F G

    Any C chord in the song is now a G, any D chord in the song is now an A, etc.

    Works in any keys. If there are sharps, flats, etc, just move them over too. Some keys take a little tweaking, F to Bb etc, but soon your ear will pick up the mistakes and you'll make the adjustments.
    UWC; only those who have not been can rationalize not going.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ukulele JJ View Post
    Nice list! These songs could also be played with C, F, and G7 (or plain ol' G) being the "three chords".

    That way you can put off having to learn D for another few days.

    JJ
    Good to know...I'll definitely have to try that out! Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by ukestang View Post
    Learn Am, 1 finger middle finger-G string. Then you will gave C-Am-F-G. easy transitions, and thousands of song, the ultimate in progressions for beginners. Also Chordie will allow you to transpose keys, if you don't know how to transpose, check back, someone will help, it's easy.
    That's the kind of stuff I'm going to be looking for...how to add in just one more chord and add a whole lot of additional songs. Thanks for the tip! I'll start working on Am as soon as I get the first three down pretty solid

    Quote Originally Posted by SweetWaterBlue View Post
    Dittos on the learning to use the transpose tool. Once you do that, you can let chordie transpose most simple 3 chord songs you find in other keys to C, F, G7.
    Sounds like I have a lot to pick up on

    Quote Originally Posted by EDW View Post
    You can find some songs here:

    http://www.doctoruke.com/beginners.html

    Keep in mind that there are millions of three chord songs using the I, IV, V chords. If some of them are in a different key, for example G, C, D7, you can easily play them in the key that is comfortable. Sometimes it may not be as good a key to sing, but it is a good way to start.

    Try this as well

    http://www.box.net/shared/qb46mv1nrf
    Thanks for those!

    Quote Originally Posted by robert dock View Post
    I did not know this, i now love you since you have just given me the ability to play all the songs i used to play on guitar.
    That really is cool, i've just spent an hour playing some Hank Williams on the uke from guitar chords
    Tomorrow i shall try some Oasis guitar chords on the uke.
    I am now in your debt
    That's pretty cool!

    Quote Originally Posted by salukulady View Post
    Here's another trick to make you fall in love with me. A trick my first uke teacher taught me. How to transpose a song without using a transpose tool. If your original song is in the key of C and you want it in the key of G, do this:

    Key of C - C D E F G A B C
    Key of G - G A B C D E F G

    Any C chord in the song is now a G, any D chord in the song is now an A, etc.

    Works in any keys. If there are sharps, flats, etc, just move them over too. Some keys take a little tweaking, F to Bb etc, but soon your ear will pick up the mistakes and you'll make the adjustments.
    I'm going to tuck that info away for later also

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •