Beginner songs that utilize C F G7 chords?

I'd suggest the FUN song from Spongebob

C..............................F
"F" is for friends who do stuff together

C........................G7
"U" is for you and me

C.................................F
"N" is for anywhere and anytime at all

C.......................G7............C
Down here in the deep blue sea

Verse 2:

F is for frolic through all the flowers
U is for ukulele (see, it's the perfect ukulele song!)
N is for nose-picking, chewing gum, and sand licking
Here with my best buddy

Last edited:
The Three Chord Workbook

Do you have a link for the Three Chord Workbook that is mentioned in the Two Chord Workbook?

If you know C, G, Am and F there's a ton of songs you can play. Am is a one-finger chord....ring finger on the second fret of the G string.

If the chords are C G Am F you'll find a lot of later pop tunes that fit. If they're C Am F G you'll find a lot of fifties/early sixties rock songs that work. I'd hazard to guess there are hundreds of songs you could play with just those four chords....

Aloha!
Your post refers to 62 2-chord songs, but I'm not seeing how to get the list - Thanks for your help!

Aloha!
Your post refers to 62 2-chord songs, but I'm not seeing how to get the list - Thanks for your help!
Whoops.

a tisket a tasket
ain't gonna rain no more
bell bottom trousers
billy boy
buffalo gals
clementine
chop sticks
day-o
deep in the heart of texas
did you ever see a lassie
doggie in the window
don't sit under the apple tree
down in the valley
eh cumpari
found a peanut
go tell aunt rhody
mulberry bush
whole world in his hands
sat on the steps ans smoked a cigar
hokey pokey
irish jig
itsy bitsy spider
jambalaya
la cucaracha
little red caboose
london bridge
long long ago
mary had a little lamb
maryann
merrily we roll along
my youth is all spent
mexican hat dance
oh dear what can the matter be
oh where has my little dog gone
polly wolly doodle
rock of ages
row your boat
shortening bread
simple melody
singin in the rain
skip to my lou
streets of laredo
sweet betsy from pike
sweet surender
sweet violets
ta-ra-ra-boom-de-ay
ten little indians
farmer in the dell
more we get together
hot time in the old town tonight
old lsdy who swallowed a fly
the way we wash our cloths
tom dooley
whos afraid of the big bad wolf

Lots:
Any 12-bar blues song.
Louie Louie
Guantanamera
Like a Rolling Stone
You Can't Always Get What You Want

C, F, G - sometimes G7, not always.

Doctor Uke's site has many of the songs you're looking for, and has MP3 files that allow you to play along while you learn the chords and changes. There is a special section for beginner songs.

Great info folks! As another newbie with no musical background, this type of thread is invaluable.
Lovin' the UU! :)

Not the best way to learn your chords, but if you are not playing with others, you can play many 3 chord songs using C, F, G7, even if song calls for 3 other chords.
Ok to have fun while you are learning chords using Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot camp or some other method.

http://www.4shared.com/dir/QB7udDJq/Free_Booklet_.html

Not the best way to learn your chords, but if you are not playing with others, you can play many 3 chord songs using C, F, G7, even if song calls for 3 other chords.
Ok to have fun while you are learning chords using Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot camp or some other method.

http://www.4shared.com/dir/QB7udDJq/Free_Booklet_.html

Thanks for the advice. :)
I am indeed using Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp! :D Been practicing loads now I have my very own Kala KA-CEM, not there was much wrong with the Mahalo I was borrowing, but nothing like having your own Uke! Now I am getting familiar with C, F & G7, it's useful to find some songs so that I can practice different combos. As you say, important to get the basics down first. :)

"Remember, any guitar music works on ukulele, same chords just different chord positions"

Don't guitars have more strings so more chords they can play? As you tell, I've never even picked up a guitar, only ukuleles. Using guitar chords will make life easier when searching for music. Thanks.

Ultimate-guitar is a good resource and if it doesn't sound quite right for uke you can transpose the chords there and then.Also,if you google ukulele chords it comes up with downloadable charts so you can add to your repetoire of chords as and when.Once you get your first few chords memorized it's amazing how quickly you can learn new ones.I've got a zero musical background and when I took this up thought if I could remember 3 or 5 chords I'd be doing well;I've been playing for 5 months and know 22 chords.By my standards this is damn near miraculous!:D

Last edited:
I like chordie.com b/c it will transpose into both GCEA uke tuning and ADF#B tuning.

Also, if you just throw in C G Am F, you can play thousands of pop songs! Google the 4-chord song tribute on Youtube!

Thank you so much for pointing out the function to change Chordi to ukulele chords. I had found the site but thought it was guitar only. What a boon!

If you're looking for prominently those chords, but also a little more to challenge you, there's La mer/Beyond the Sea that comes to mind.

C-Am-F-G7

Just focus on the first two verses (I didn't approach the third verse and its change of key for months, but it was a goal that was always on my mind). It's one of the first songs I learnt 8 months ago (never played an instrument before), as the chords are relatively easy, the chord progression is predictable but the strumming is a little different. First I practised the chords alone, independent of a song, bounced around from one to the other... then when I was confident I got 'em, played them in the correct order. Lastly I got the strumming pattern down.

There are a couple of other chords (D7, A7, and the dreaded Dm) but it's totally do-able there's enough straightforward stuff there to keep you going, feel like you're progressing and enough to challenge you a little :)

Plus, they're all chords you'll see frequently, especially if you like jazz.

http://www.alligatorboogaloo.com/uke/tabs/030426.html
http://www.alligatorboogaloo.com/uke/tabs/041223.html

"Remember, any guitar music works on ukulele, same chords just different chord positions"

Don't guitars have more strings so more chords they can play? As you tell, I've never even picked up a guitar, only ukuleles. Using guitar chords will make life easier when searching for music. Thanks.

Hmmmm.... I tried guitar (still have it) and didn't get far. The F chord stymied my old fingers. However, the F chord on the uke is simple. I find 4 strings and narrower fret board to be much easier--especially for barre chords. But then again, I'm a trumpet player so what do I know ;)

What he means is that if THE SONG goes from a C chord to an F chord to a G chord, it doesnt matter what instrument you play it on. The song still goes C F G. What is different is how you go about producing said C F & G on the instrument, be it ukulele guitar, piano, or banjo or whatever.

Also he is refering to the similarity in chord shapes on the 1st 4 strings of a guitar and the chords on a ukulele.
If you play a G chord on the 1st 4 str of a guitar, your finger is in the same place as a C chord would be on the uke.
A G7 chord on the uke is shaped the same as a D7 chord on the 1st 4 str of a guitar.

Top Bottom