Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Beginner songs that utilize C F G7 chords?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilUSAFRet View Post
    Not the best way to learn your chords, but if you are not playing with others, you can play many 3 chord songs using C, F, G7, even if song calls for 3 other chords.
    Ok to have fun while you are learning chords using Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot camp or some other method.

http://www.4shared.com/dir/QB7udDJq/Free_Booklet_.html
    Thanks for the advice.
    I am indeed using Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp! Been practicing loads now I have my very own Kala KA-CEM, not there was much wrong with the Mahalo I was borrowing, but nothing like having your own Uke! Now I am getting familiar with C, F & G7, it's useful to find some songs so that I can practice different combos. As you say, important to get the basics down first.

"Remember, any guitar music works on ukulele, same chords just different chord positions"

Don't guitars have more strings so more chords they can play? As you tell, I've never even picked up a guitar, only ukuleles. Using guitar chords will make life easier when searching for music. Thanks.

Ultimate-guitar is a good resource and if it doesn't sound quite right for uke you can transpose the chords there and then.Also,if you google ukulele chords it comes up with downloadable charts so you can add to your repetoire of chords as and when.Once you get your first few chords memorized it's amazing how quickly you can learn new ones.I've got a zero musical background and when I took this up thought if I could remember 3 or 5 chords I'd be doing well;I've been playing for 5 months and know 22 chords.By my standards this is damn near miraculous!
    Last edited by Loupin' Flech; 05-27-2011 at 05:35 PM.

I like chordie.com b/c it will transpose into both GCEA uke tuning and ADF#B tuning.

Also, if you just throw in C G Am F, you can play thousands of pop songs! Google the 4-chord song tribute on Youtube!
    Makala Dolphin Teaching Pod: 1 LightTurquoise, 1 RedBurst, 1 WhiteSparkle, 1 BlueSparkle, 1 Pink, 1 Pinkburst, 1 Purple, 1 Yellow, 1 Yellowburst

Personal Ukes: 2 Dolphin OrangeBursts (1 Low G), Makala LightBlueBurst Tenor (Low G), Disney Princess Plastic

Cigar Box Strummer ~ Strat-body Ibanez 3/4 ~ Clayz Raindrop Alto Ab ~ Focalink Jade Crackle Soprano B

Thank you so much for pointing out the function to change Chordi to ukulele chords. I had found the site but thought it was guitar only. What a boon!

If you're looking for prominently those chords, but also a little more to challenge you, there's La mer/Beyond the Sea that comes to mind.

C-Am-F-G7

Just focus on the first two verses (I didn't approach the third verse and its change of key for months, but it was a goal that was always on my mind). It's one of the first songs I learnt 8 months ago (never played an instrument before), as the chords are relatively easy, the chord progression is predictable but the strumming is a little different. First I practised the chords alone, independent of a song, bounced around from one to the other... then when I was confident I got 'em, played them in the correct order. Lastly I got the strumming pattern down.

There are a couple of other chords (D7, A7, and the dreaded Dm) but it's totally do-able there's enough straightforward stuff there to keep you going, feel like you're progressing and enough to challenge you a little

Plus, they're all chords you'll see frequently, especially if you like jazz.

http://www.alligatorboogaloo.com/uke/tabs/030426.html
    http://www.alligatorboogaloo.com/uke/tabs/041223.html

Bobby Dylan's Like a Rolling Stone.
    Kingsmen's Louie Louie.
    Sandpiper's Guantanamera.
    Ian
    -------------------------------------------
    “Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum, et tertium non datur. To err is human; to persevere in error is diabolical; there is no third option.”
    Seneca the Younger
    Ukulele reviews * Vintage Uke Music * Tequila * Henry Hudson * Harmonica reviews * Blog

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingshirley View Post
    "Remember, any guitar music works on ukulele, same chords just different chord positions"

Don't guitars have more strings so more chords they can play? As you tell, I've never even picked up a guitar, only ukuleles. Using guitar chords will make life easier when searching for music. Thanks.
    Hmmmm.... I tried guitar (still have it) and didn't get far. The F chord stymied my old fingers. However, the F chord on the uke is simple. I find 4 strings and narrower fret board to be much easier--especially for barre chords. But then again, I'm a trumpet player so what do I know

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingshirley View Post

What he means is that if THE SONG goes from a C chord to an F chord to a G chord, it doesnt matter what instrument you play it on. The song still goes C F G. What is different is how you go about producing said C F & G on the instrument, be it ukulele guitar, piano, or banjo or whatever.

Also he is refering to the similarity in chord shapes on the 1st 4 strings of a guitar and the chords on a ukulele.
    If you play a G chord on the 1st 4 str of a guitar, your finger is in the same place as a C chord would be on the uke.
    A G7 chord on the uke is shaped the same as a D7 chord on the 1st 4 str of a guitar.
    AnueNue Papa Long Neck Soprano
    60s Harmony Soprano

Thread Information