Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So... Let's talk eleukes.

Default So... Let's talk eleukes.

So, I noticed Aldrine has a jazz eleuke. I don't really like the look of them, but love the sound !

I like the other one's...

THIS ONE

http://www.eleuke.com/product/006.html

i WAnt it, and it isn't too expensive either. But , is there much difference?

You linked to the old Eleuke site.

The models on this site: www.eleukeusa.com are the new "improved" models.
    Make sure you stick to the new models

Matt, I just wanted to put in another point for you to consider.

If you do join the navy, an eleuke (along with a mini amp) would be smaller, more durable, and quieter (without an amp) than a typical acoustic ukulele. Which would make it a great instrument for your travels.

So, I noticed Aldrine has a jazz eleuke. I don't really like the look of them, but love the sound ! I like the other one's... i WAnt it, and it isn't too expensive either. But , is there much difference?
    The main difference between the 100 series and the Jazz series is the shape and size of the body. I'm going to link up to pages on the EleUkeUSA site throughout my reply with descriptions and pictures.

The Jazz Series are much larger (more wood, more cost) than most other EleUkes. The Koa will also be a larger size.
    The 100 series has two cutouts or monkey grips in the body. Whereas the K series only has the top monkey grip. I only point this out here because I have a bad habit of strumming fairly low on the strings and I catch my finger in that bottom cutout. If your playing style lends itself to strumming higher up on the lower part of the fretboard, you won't have this issue.

Other than body style, shape and finish/color, the only major difference in the EleUke models is the wood. All "new model" EleUkes have similar electronics (pieso pickups [link goes to wiki]), hardware (geared tuners) and builds (all neck-through bodies, etc), but come in mahogany, koa, rosewood, etc. This is mainly aesthetic, unless you have an audiophile's super ear, then you'd hear variations in tone with different woods, just like you do in electric guitars. Sound is just vibration and different woods vibrate differently.

I'd also like to second the comment about the durability. Thick chunk o' wood.
    EleUkeUSA.com | click the cans to friend, follow and watch!

How about one of these creatures?
    They end up selling for only about $80 shipped on eBay.
    If you don't like the looks, you could easily hack-off the outer body and turn it into a uke stick
    Last edited by Paul December; 04-02-2010 at 09:18 AM.

Wow, ugly, but the guts of the uke looks suspicously similar (even the headphones?)

From a design perspective I actually much prefer the above uke posted by Paul. I think it has a very Bauhaus/utilitarian look and is a rather clever piece of design. Then again, I have a bit of an issue with the way the elecukes look (not very keen on the sound either) but it's only my opinion.

Yea... I didn't think it looked that bad..

I think i might get one...

Last edited by nomis; 04-02-2010 at 04:26 PM.

You think the front looks ugly, you should see the back:
    Rich Holmes
    Syracuse, NY
    Twitter | Blog/web site | Salt City Ukulele | SyraUke

Thread Information