Least expensive way to ship from USA to UK? or the best?

xoukulele

Reaction score
Anyone ever ship to the UK from the States? What do I have to do? This is new to me. Thanks.:confused:

Yep -- I agree with Lori. I've sent a few things to England and US Postal Service is the cheapest. I've not had trouble with the delivery either. You might also want to check out the Postal Service pre-priced boxes. You get them for free and don't pay anything until you go to send it. The boxes vary in postage rates with smallest the least expensive -- duh! Be careful though, it's a tad pricey.

It's insurance that really costs. That and the customs and excise at the other end here in Blighty.

As fivetide says, beware customs. The person getting the parcel won't get it if there's customs to charge UNTIL they're paid. And customs can be a hefty sum. It's based on what you insure the package for, so sometimes you can risk it, and under-insure.

If you use USPS, I would advise just using regular first class. In my experience (10 years of fairly constantly flowing stuff), all the fancy express/priority/blah de blah have no effect once the package is over the Atlantic. I actually have usually received regular things before priority packages.

One concern with USPS is that I don't believe they offer any actual real-time tracking, like UPS/Fedex do. You can insure against loss/damage, though.

I've heard customs/excise can be a bear. Now, I'm not suggesting anyone do anything unethical, but I have heard that for shipments to Canada (similar type of situation) you can designate an item as a "gift" and the recipient doesn't get hit with charges as if it were a sale.

I once ordered a CD from a small independent UK record company, and it arrived with something on the envelope marked as it being a gift. Didn't sound quite right, since I paid for it, but I figured they knew what they were doing and were just trying to save both ends from being hit with any extra cost or delay.

Quick update in Dec 2019

Asked Mya-Moe about shipping from the USA - they use UPS, and NOT USPS

Wait until Brexit is done if you can. Import tax will be lower. Probably :)

Make sure that whoever is exporting it puts details of the exact species of wood used on the shipping invoice. It will save a lot of hassle with Customs this end.

Wait until Brexit is done if you can. Import tax will be lower. Probably :)

I think we are about to enter 'interesting times' as the Chinese curse goes. Looking to get any EU deals done ASAP, and feel there is a strong chance Sterling will tank in the future.

Thanks for the tip about wood, hadn't thought about that!

I am finding that most shipping companies do a great job on the long haul, most of the problems are in the last 1km where you are relying on a driver who is in the Gig Economy. The big company can do a brilliant job, only to be gazumped by a Gig Economy worker who has no real investment in the sale apart from a very low fee, who brings the parcel the last few Kms to your delivery address.

True here as well - have had deliveries left in a wood store, and even under a neighbour's hedge. Not helped by the somewhat confusing nature of our address and location, regular drivers are usually ok, but inexperienced ones who are rushing to meet a deadline tend to struggle.

One delivery company wanted extra for a premium service, having failed to meet two arranged slots. No pressure then, 'nice delivery you've got there, shame if anything happened to it...'

I have received small items from the UK; CDs, books and such; sent via postal services with no troubles.

DHL specializes in international delivery service. I've had very good results with items sent from Nicaragua and the Philippines. Also with FedEx.

Cocobolo uses DHL.

Top Bottom