Win a Mya-Moe Tenor Uke! Official UU "FROM OUR HOUSE TO YOURS" Contest!

Hi David,

The loudest one of those three (myrtle, mango, koa) right after they're built is usually mango. But, the myrtle will open up the most over time. Within about 6 months, it is at least as loud as the other two, and it develops a great bass response.

Gordon & Char

Contest Submission

Hi!
My name is Jake Loew.
This is my entry for the contest.
It is a piece that I wrote in my front yard right after I got home from a long trip, so I always think of a nice day in my front yard when I play it.
I also talk about my new CD in the beginning because hopefully more people will see the video.
Thanks for watching, and keeping ukulele music around.
Enjoy!

(Did I submit this correctly? i.e. Does posting this count as my entry? or do I have to upload it somewhere else?)

I'm all excited about this contest! I really like where I'm from though... So it really helps :) I talked with my Camera man (I have such a good hubby!) and we're making our travel plans to hit the city and all the places we wanna go and things we wanna do... :) Yay!

Alrighty, "This is home" seemed like an appropriate song for the contest. Way better with a base guitar, drums and Jon Foreman; but the pretty clouds should make up for me.

enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV2ZydMv-ng

I basically cut myself out of the whole video by the time i put all the pictures i wanted in. so if thats a "no-go" for this contest, someone let me know and i'll just post the raw footage.

Last edited:
That is a gorgeous ukulele! I have a plan for my video and will be working on a song shortly. :)

Ewan McColl's Dirty Old Town

And the mother looked at the squad of troops marching and she observed that
everyone was out of step except for her son... that's how I fell about my entry
I am sort of out of step with everyone elses vision of home.

Anyway The song is by Ewan McColl and called Dirty Old Town, though
perhaps it is more famously done by the Pogues or the Dubliners.

The film clip is public domain and is called "The City" and contrasts a
idyllic rural setting to the squalor and poverty of an industrial town.
I only selected scenes that went with the lyrics so it is all grime and smoke,
but regardless of location, it is community that makes a home.

Everybody wants a better place to live

Last edited:
Okay, here's my entry. I thought about how to do this, whether I wanted to just record myself singing and playing, but then I thought it might be better to challenge myself. I haven't played to a live audience in over two years, and I've been really nervous about getting back up on a stage. So I figured this contest was an excellent reason to swallow my butterflies and give it a go.

This song is called "Home" and I performed it live tonight in Santa Barbara. It's an audience recording, and the sound is a little wonky because people in front were snapping their fingers and someone near the camera was tapping their foot which made for a bit of a thumping sound towards the end. But it's the best I could do with the limited equipment I have available to me.

In my nervousness I referred to it as a "competition" and not a "contest". I hope that doesn't disqualify me!

Anyway, I hope you like it. Here it is. I posted the lyrics in the video description.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haL0DOaTtWA

Feedback and comments are welcome. Mahalo!

Last edited:
Ack! The audio is out of sync on the YouTube video. I need to fix that. It's fine in the original file... not sure what's wrong.

Fixed! I had to remove it from YouTube and re-add it. So those of you who rated it and left comments, would you mind doing so again? Thanks!

And the mother looked at the squad of troops marching and she observed that
everyone was out of step except for her son... that's how I fell about my entry
I am sort of out of step with everyone elses vision of home.

Anyway The song is by Ewan McColl and called Dirty Old Town, though
perhaps it is more famously done by the Pogues or the Dubliners.

The film clip is public domain and is called "The City" and contrasts a
idyllic rural setting to the squalor and poverty of an industrial town.
I only selected scenes that went with the lyrics so it is all grime and smoke,
but regardless of location, it is community that makes a home.

Everybody wants a better place to live

I really liked your song!

Nope--an instrumental is fine.

Thanks for all the great entries so far. We wanted to see how creatively people would interpret "home", and it's great to see the variety!

Top Bottom