It's Alive! The Lehua CBU comes to life...

ukecantdothat

Reaction score
At last I have begun my cigar box uke with the salvaged neck and saddle from my smashed Lehua long-neck soprano. I just ordered some geared tuners and low Gs from hoosierhiver, but this pic gives a preview of sorts.

Attachments

• Lehua CBU..jpg
    Lehua CBU..jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 50
looks awesome! nicw job

I LOVE CBUs, and that neck suits the size of your box very well. How does it sound with no sound hole, or have you cut one into the side?

I'm just finishing off a CBU with a 16" scale length. I don't know whether to call it a large Concert, or a small Tenor. I chose the scale to suit the neck blank, and the size of the box. There's no law saying they've GOT to be a standard size. Should be interesting deciding what strings/tuning to use.

As your photos are a preview, I look forward to seeing the finished uke.

John Colter.

I LOVE CBUs, and that neck suits the size of your box very well. How does it sound with no sound hole, or have you cut one into the side?

I'm just finishing off a CBU with a 16" scale length. I don't know whether to call it a large Concert, or a small Tenor. I chose the scale to suit the neck blank, and the size of the box. There's no law saying they've GOT to be a standard size. Should be interesting deciding what strings/tuning to use.

As your photos are a preview, I look forward to seeing the finished uke.

John Colter.

Yes, since it is an in-progress project, I'll update the pics from time to time. No sound hole yet. If I do put one in, it'll be on the top side. I'm enjoying the low volume semi solid body effect for now, The wood is so thick it's not going sound that great anyway, as far as volume goes, but the tone isn't too bad. I put my ear against the box and the transmitted sound will go great into a stick on pickup if I go that route, but certainly an MiSi would be fantastic. It's going to be mainly a bluesy uke, I think, and a little funkiness in tone actually helps that sort of thing. Low G for sure on this one, and I'll probably detune from there, maybe a slack key for slide work etc. I'll try and post a vid when I get something going with it for real.

Last edited:
Top Bottom