Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Semi/Full-hollow Body Electrics

Quote Originally Posted by Davoravo View Post
    Noob question, are hollow bodies lighter than other electric guitars? I have fallen in love with photos of a gretsch on our local equivalent of craigslist. Apart from losing picks down the f hole are they any issues with ease of playability relative to a solid electric?
    Depends on the specific guitar. Gretsch has been using center blocks recently and those don't exactly make for light guitars.

Also, I've never lost picks in f-holes. They're too small and far away from the normal picking range to play a factor in pick loss (at least for most people).

Regarding playability and Gretsches in particular, it's player dependent. Some adjust the action way high and put monster strings on so it's a fight to play (they insist it makes for great tone), where others use normal strings and the only issues they ever run into are:

1: Thinking the Bigsby is to blame for tuning issues (99% of the time, it's either the bridge or the nut that's causing issues)

2: Having the bridge move if they lean their picking hand hard on the bridge (some models have pinned bridges, most don't. There are ways to fix this from lightening your picking hand to applying something under the bridge like bow rosin, sandpaper, or double-sided tape. You don't need much to keep it in place because the strings do most of the work)

3: Learning the controls (Eric Clapton loved his Gretsch, but said it was too confusing to play and moved to other guitars)

But if you can find something from 2005 or newer or older than their Baldwin years, you probably have a great guitar to play with.

Side note: just because a Gretsch (specifically) doesn't have f-holes, doesn't mean it isn't hollow. ;-)
    Last edited by Just Russ; 08-08-2019 at 01:15 PM.

Thanks, I think semi hollow guitars are truly beautiful. I have a screwed in trapeze on my acoustic parlor (I think it is called a false trapeze) so I might see if I can find the same in a semi hollow.

They're my favorite kind of guitars and they're significantly more versatile than a lot of people give them credit for.

Thread Information