Pono Ukuleles

How would the neck on that one compare to a KoAloha? I like that it is satin instead of gloss
The Kanilea neck is 1.5" at the nut so just a little wider that the Koaloha(which is also 1.5" at the nut).
Some folks like the slightly wider string spacing.
Both are slim necks from top (fretboard side) to bottom meaning not as chunky as my Ohana for example.

Last edited:
The Kanilea neck is 1.5" at the nut so just a little wider that the Koaloha.
I must say that fahrner's instrument knowledge is helping me whittle down which final instrument I want. Didn't know the KoAlohas were not 1.5" at the nut.

I must say that fahrner's instrument knowledge is helping me whittle down which final instrument I want. Didn't know the KoAlohas were not 1.5" at the nut.
Sorry about that. Just checked and the Koaloha IS 1.5" at the nut..... well, within a hair.
You've inflated my bubble and now I've burst it. Thanks for catching that.

Last edited:
Sorry about that. Just checked and the Koaloha IS 1.5" at the nut..... well, within a hair.
You've inflated my bubble and now I've burst it. Thanks for catching that.
Well, now I'll have to flip a coin, won't I? :)

Well, now I'll have to flip a coin, won't I? :)

One of each is my motto.
Just played both trying to decide if there was one I could recommend over the other.
From a finger picking standpoint (and I'm still an undisciplined beginner) both sound very good.
My normal play method is what I call thumb picking with some strumming thrown in.
They do sound different. Perhaps the Kanilea is a little cleaner while the Koaloha is a little boomier. Both have great sustain and vibrant tone.
Guess the bottom line is you can't go wrong with either one.

PS; just got the tracking number for my Pono bari. Guess I better get started on that letter to Obama.

Last edited:
Stumbled on this video. A Pono is compared to a less expensive ukulele. Looks like the video was done in 2010?

The Pono sounds better.
Just kidding. This video pretty much depicts how my Pono tenor sounds compared to my Koaloha.
On the other hand I just received a new Pono bari that has volume, resonance and sustain that puts it way ahead of the Pono tenor.
It's lighter construction but still with the truss rod. Pretty cool. It sounds great.

On the other hand I just received a new Pono bari that has volume, resonance and sustain that puts it way ahead of the Pono tenor.
It's lighter construction but still with the truss rod. Pretty cool. It sounds great.
Is that the all-solid mahogany?

I might be in the market for a bari tuned GCEA/gCEA. Not sure if I'll go with an all-solid Kala or spend the extra $100-$200 for an all-solid Pono.

Is that the all-solid mahogany?

I might be in the market for a bari tuned GCEA/gCEA. Not sure if I'll go with an all-solid Kala or spend the extra $100-$200 for an all-solid Pono.
MGM sells a string set for that tuning. I just got a Pono mahogany baritone from another UUer, and it's quite interesting. Tuned dGBE. Nice sound but I have to relearn some guitar techniques to play it properly. I find the neck a tad wider than I'd prefer, and wish it was more narrow.

Top Bottom