Scratches

kai_shin3000

Reaction score
So I've been hearing and reading good things about the Kala archtop and decided to check one out. I found that the finish gets scratches easily which is a bit of a turn off. From using a pic to just resting my pinky (pinky nail) on the body I seem to leave scratches. They aren't major scratches at all and are barely noticeable (you have to look at it in the right light), but it still bothers me that such a light touch can leave a mark.

Because of this, I've got a few questions:

-Is there is anything I can do to stop or reduce scratching other than buying some kind of pic guard (or any other obvious/sarcastic answer like don't use a pic)?

-To those of you that have used ukes with finishes, is there a particular product that's effective at buffing or polishing off scratches without damaging the finish/uke?

-Do any of you have the same problem and how do you deal with it (if you even pay any attention to it)?

I probably sound like a big noob over this (and I probably won't care about it after a few weeks), but thanks anyway.

A few suggestions. They do make clear pick guards that stick on. Cut to size and apply.
I have put a few on some ukes and they work and look good (invisble from a distance).
I have also used 100% carnuba wax. (no silicons). It is very hard and helps ward of scratches.
To remove scratches I have used micro-mesh, it comes in a 12,000 grit. Developed by the Air Force to remove scratches from fighter cockpits.
I use guitar polish and the micro-mesh with great success for all those small scratches that seem to come from nowhere,

A high end guitar dealer friend of mine used to apply this thin self-adhesive film on the backs of his guitars to prevent belt scratches from potential customers. I don't know what they're called but they are very similar to that stuff you have to peel off from LCD screens of new mobile phones, computer monitors etc. They're cheap to buy and apply and don't leave a mark when you remove them. They may work better than regular pickguards since your uke is an archtop.

Do either of you know where I can get this clear pic guard stuff? I also saw a video of Aldrine's where he mentioned he had a clear pic guard on.

On a side note I was also wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a hard case for my kala archtop. I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying it in a gig bag and the hard case I checked out at the store (don't know what case exactly it was but the merch said it was a kala) wouldn't fit the uke in it right.

Last edited:
Do either of you know where I can get this clear pic guard stuff? I also saw a video of Aldrine's where he mentioned he had a clear pic guard on.
I don't know what Aldrine uses, but kling-ons are pretty popular with the classical guitar crowd. They make ones that are flexible and use no adhesive (static cling). They aren't as heavy duty as golpeadores (flamenco tap plates) but they help protect against minor dings.

http://kling-on.com/

You wouldn't believe the amount of scratches that I have on my Kamaka. Battle scars. You can't see them except for in the right light like you said. Unless you aren't sleeping at night because of it, I wouldn't even worry.

I doubt the clear sheet would stick well to the curved body of the Archtop. Have you seen these pickguards specifically for your model?
Kala Archtop Pickguard
BTW - a nice layer of polish helps the uke from getting scratched in the first place.

Top Bottom