Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Decent 'cheap' uke as birthday gift.

Default Decent 'cheap' uke as birthday gift.

aloha to you all,
    one of my friends is celebrating his twentieth birthday in a few days. We have reason to believe he is quite interested in picking up a new instrument, next to the guitar. So what could possibly be better than the ukulele? Unfortunately we dont't have a lot of money to spend on it. So I hoped you could tell me what uke you would pick in the price range of 80-100$ ? Also, you think we should go for a soprano, concert or tenor?
    thanks a lot.

cant go wrong with a kala/lanikai bottom line tenor
    Da Papa Gutes Style - YOUTUBE MYSPACE

Kala 15-S.

The Kala watermelon!

I love my Lanikai tenor though. Very easy transition from the guitar (for me).
    Purple Makala Dolphin : Mahalo Camp Uke : Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple Porthos : Lanikai O8-E Honey : Mainland Red Cedar Soprano Panties : Ohana Sopranino Short Round : Islander Soprano : Mainland Mahogany Tenor Tank Jr : Kala KM-FMB : Makai PK-55 Inspiration : Vintage Blackstone Baritone : Bluegrass Cedar top Tenor : Zebrawood Fishuku

Look into a Kala and check out MGM, he sells tons of Kalas in all prices. Plus he will setup the uke and put on aquila strings.
    Maui no ka oi !!!!!
    Kamaka HF-3, Vintage 1935 Kamaka Pineapple, Kanile'a Deluxe 6 string Tenor, Kamaka 1996 HF-38, Makala Concert

Makala makes a great uke for the money, and for around $100 you can probably get one with a case or bag, and a tuner. I don't know how expensive it is to bring them in to Belgium, but MusicGuyMic has starter kits that are very reasonably priced, and his set up is well worth it!

Thanks for the feedback. The only thing that worries me is the shipping costs to belgium. I found a shop here that sells oscar schmidt ukes, are they any good?

I have an Oscar Schmidt (OU3, I believe) and it's really good in my opinion. Not that I've ever owned or even tried the top of the line ukes out there, but I think it's great for it's price, and for a beginner. They tend to look pretty spiffy, too.
    I was actually just going to suggest an Oscar Schmidt and then I saw your post.

I'd get him a concert size. That's what I started on, and I love it. Very different from holding a guitar, but not super tiny.
    -Josh
    (twitter)

Ukes: Mainland concert mahogany w/slotted headstock and Mi-Si; Fluke tenor (mango); Kamaka vintage Gold Label pineapple (restored); Applause UAE20 Acoustic-Electric Deluxe Mini Ukulele, Adamas Red
    Guitars: 1991 Fender Strat Ultra (sunburst), Ibanez acoustic, Yamaha classical 3/4

Lanikai LU21.
    --- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- ---
    Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
    Join the Vita ukulele group
    Join the Brüko ukulele owners group

Thread Information