Strings for Tenor that is tuned one whole step lower?

mandodiddle

Reaction score
I am wanting to tune my tenor a whole step lower. Does anyone have any suggestions for strings (sizes, brands, diameters) that would keep the tension up to a normal GCEA tuning?
Thanks,
Bill

so you want to tune to do a Bb tuning (FBbDG)? or are you saying you want to tune to GCEA (C tuning)? most tenor strings are going to be GCEA. and you should be able to tune up/down a step just fine. i just put on some d'addario pro arte tenor strings on my uke and they're great. i've also played my tenor with the aquila strings and it's pretty good too.

Jason,
Yes, that is right. I am wanting to tune to (FBbDG). I was hoping that there might be some slightly larger diameter strings that I could keep the tension up comparable to a normal GCEA tuning. Do you know of such an animal?
Bill

Worth makes high tension strings. Tuned lower, I imagine they would be along the lines of what you're looking for.

I believe the Aquilas will go a full step down as well.
I have heard that way back in uke history tenors were tuned to "Bb".
At the same time it was common for a soprano to be in "D".
I can imagine it sounded really good when a ukulele orchestra played together.

If you like lower tunings on a tenor, have you thought about tuning to DGBE like a baritone uke?

Aquila have a DGBE set (with high D) for tenors that works well.
Lol, I actually have a Concert Eleuke with those tenor DGBE strings, and the tension isn't too bad :)

Top Bottom