Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JAPAN: Uke Picnic (Aug. 9, 2008)

Default JAPAN: Uke Picnic (Aug. 9, 2008)

Hello fellow members (in Japan!),

following the great Bay Area Meet-up report, I figured it was time to check if some of the Japan members (be you Japanese or gaijin) are in for a bit of joint four-stringed happiness.
    It just happens that the Ukulele Picnic 2008 will be held on August 9, 2008, and I thought it might be a nice place to meet up. I was planning to go there and make a video report for UU anyway, but it would be cool to have some side-event going on.

It doesn't have to be that date and place (Yokosuka if I am correct), and a quickie in Yoyogi or some other more centrally located park is fine as well, but just to throw some ideas in the air.

Anyone in for a meet?
    sigs disabled kthxbai

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by UkeNinja View Post
    Hello fellow members (in Japan!),

following the great Bay Area Meet-up report, I figured it was time to check if some of the Japan members (be you Japanese or gaijin) are in for a bit of joint four-stringed happiness.
    It just happens that the Ukulele Picnic 2008 will be held on August 9, 2008, and I thought it might be a nice place to meet up. I was planning to go there and make a video report for UU anyway, but it would be cool to have some side-event going on.

It doesn't have to be that date and place (Yokosuka if I am correct), and a quickie in Yoyogi or some other more centrally located park is fine as well, but just to throw some ideas in the air.

Anyone in for a meet?
    Aloha, UkeNinja (now that's an original!)......I just Googled "Yokosuka Ukulele Picnic" to get some info on it, and this Ukulele Underground link popped up so I just registered. What a nice surprise to come across this site! My name is Ku'ulei and I'm a "total unknown" ukulele player/teacher in Tokyo. I teach small and private classes and I don't have a CD out yet, but I was given a chance to perform at the Yokohama Hawaiian Festival last week Sunday and I must have done alright (LOL!) because I was asked to come back next summer. Anyway, I'll be at the Ukulele Picnic (for the first time) so please look me up if you attend. Ask for "Ku-u-lei" at the PuaPua booth (I'll be w/Kanile'a Ukulele). Yes, it's 3 syllables; no, I don't have an English name! Mahalo gozaimasu, Ku'ulei Mamo (and that's my real first name)

Welcome Ku'ulei! Hope u guys make this meet work out! I'd love to see some undiscovered talent get documented

Quote Originally Posted by Ku'ulei View Post
    Aloha, UkeNinja (now that's an original!)...I'll be at the Ukulele Picnic (for the first time) so please look me up if you attend...Mahalo gozaimasu
    So are you handing out the discount coupons for Kanile'a as well??? I'm there!

But seriously, with the "guerrilla weather" as the Japanese news calls it going on these days, I just hope things clear up for Saturday... planning to wear my UU T-shirt, or perhaps go undercover in a pink koi carp and wave aloha-shirt. Didn't decide yet Whichever makes me look pro but doesn't require that I actually hold a uke in public *breaks a sweat*

UkeNinja... yeah sorry it's dumb, but hey, ninjas were cool in the early 1980s.

Any other ukurere-prayers planning to go?
    Last edited by UkeNinja; 08-04-2008 at 07:44 PM.
    sigs disabled kthxbai

too far.
    i'm down in fukuoka.
    and dark knight is finally coming out here.

ya'll have fun though.

Ok i'm in tokyo for one year , let me know if there are any other ukulele events ^^

Cool, I saw in the intro thread you do computer science. Are you on a research year on some university?

Check out mixi.jp for ukulele groups, and get Rolling Coconuts Magazine at a music store in central Tokyo (Shibuya has a few places, Ikebukuro's Kurosawa, Ochanomizu's instrument shopping street).

As for the ukulele picnic, I was floored by the heat. Sucked all energy out of me... Yay! for the cooler weather now.
    sigs disabled kthxbai

Yep i'm doing research in computer sciences bringing help to physiological issues at tokyo university. It will last one year ^^
    i live near shibuya so i'll look for this magazine .
    Thanks, see you.

Any uu-activities in the tokyo area in february? Staying for two weeks and want to make it a real uke-centered trip. So im very interested in info on meetings, concerts or just a little face-to-face chitchat and a little jam. All traveling tips and shopping hints are also highly appreciated.

Mikromue
    This is a .44 Martin, the most powerful handgun in the world

Hi,

the group "Lele de Bossa" (jazz and bossa nova: 2 ukes, acoustic bass & guitar) has two live sessions in February, in ZAIM on 9 Feb. and in Koiwa Zepher on 16 Feb. Both are cafes in the Yokohama area. Entrance is around 1000-1500 yen (1 drink included) or free but a small contribution expected.

For shopping, go to Shibuya and check out Kurosawa Instruments (Kurosawa Gakki) or Heartman Guitars. Both have a good selection of ukuleles from your basic Kala/Ilikai/Lanikai/whatever up to customs that will set you back a few thousand. Kurosawa in Ikebukuro (5 min. from the station) has a good selection of serious ukes as well. Go to the instrument shopping street in Ochanomizu for more, the shop Woodmagic is pretty good but small, and the larger stores will have stuff hanging as well. Kiwaya in Ueno(?) is the place to visit, probably the oldest in Tokyo and a huge collection of ukuleles for sale. Uke Museum is here as well, but you have to call in advance.

Check Bosko & Honey's Ukulele Safari 2008 videos of Japan on Youtube to see more.

The yen is strong at the moment, so cheap deals are not that easy to find perhaps. Although on second thought, you will probably have a lot more choice than in Germany. Better make up your mind before coming, or you will go crazy and max out your credit card in no time
    Last edited by UkeNinja; 02-04-2009 at 01:58 AM.
    sigs disabled kthxbai

Thread Information