New Project CNC machine for inlays etc:

The leadscrew material came today..I ordered one length of 1500mm Approx: 5' of 20mm X 3mm pitch thread.... I also needed 3 leadscrew nuts , but the price was too high so I decided to make my own out of "Delrin" (Wonderful stuff for Machining and good for bearings and things) so the first thing I did was slice 5 " off the the leadscrew to make a tap to thread the nuts...it would have cost me about £40 to buy a tap and it only took me an hour to make one..including machining and heat treatment I hardened and tempered it on the barbecue..getting it up to heat with Mrs Timbucks hairdryer...and here it is.
PICT6777.jpg

And here is one of the nuts mounted on the leadscrew
PICT6778.jpg

The Machine is coming together nicely now I have Motors mounted on the X & Y axis's but I have still to make the Z axis..The Z usually takes a bit more work than the X & Y
There are a few fiddly bits, like motor couplings and knurled knobs..I recon it will be up and running by next week..Here are a couple more images.
PICT6784.jpg

PICT6793.jpg

Last edited:
I was just thinking about the bike! You made it too? Of Delrin heated on the barbeque I assume.

And Ken, could you please get mrs Timbuck to post a Youtube clip on french polishing, I need some help.

You confuse me Sir....Perhap's you "Jest" ?....Explanation please.
Well, awesome meaning I am in awe of your work here.
From this I was inspired to see if I could confuse you into making one for me as well...... to explain further, that's like the ultimate compliment using a little humor (the jest part) as a guise.
Sorry for the confusion kind sir.

I was just thinking about the bike! You made it too? Of Delrin heated on the barbeque I assume.

And Ken, could you please get mrs Timbuck to post a Youtube clip on french polishing, I need some help.

Sven ..about twenty years ago "during a recession" I did actually make "Racing Bicyle frames" they were manufactured under the name of "Teesbird"..I stopped making them when I got a propper job again, there are about 30 of them out there somewhere.
Mrs Timbuck is very Shy about being filmed...But the recent post from "Stewmac" on french polishing, is just about "spot on" the way Mrs Timbuck does it. (long strokes rather than circles)

Last edited:
Well, awesome meaning I am in awe of your work here.
From this I was inspired to see if I could confuse you into making one for me as well...... to explain further, that's like the ultimate compliment using a little humor (the jest part) as a guise.
Sorry for the confusion kind sir.

I have just sent an E-mail to President Obama..asking him to take action over the lack of adjectives in the US Language ... there has to be more than just Two??? "Cool" and "Awesome" .... How about .."Not Bad" or "Quite Good" or "Excelent" Maybe ..or "Poor" .."Lacking in style ".. "Mediocher"..."Brilliant".."Fantastic" "Wonderful" it goes on an on ..Come on US you can Do Better

Last edited:
I have just sent an E-mail to President Obama..asking him to take action over the lack of adjectives in the US Language ... there has to be more than just Two??? "Cool" and "Awesome" .... How about .."Not Bad" or "Quite Good" or "Excelent" Maybe ..or "Poor" .."Lacking in style ".. "Mediocher"..."Brilliant".."Fantastic" "Wonderful" it goes on an on ..Come on US you can Do Better
Ah, but as Vic said; that one word "awesome" sums it up so well. Think it's called modern english...... Ok, where are those little smily faces that I can put in here so you won't take any great offense over that.
Tell you what. I'll keep your list and use at least one of them to compliment your next project. Maybe several just to show how astute we can be over here.

Last edited:
Bark! Bark!... Seriously Timbuck, that thing is shiny. I can't stop looking at it.

Ken,
When I saw the photo with the bike in the back, the way it was cropped it looked as though it didn't have a seat or seatpost...I was thinking you rode all over standing up!
Oh and this CNC thingamajig is the cat's pajamas :) :)

Last edited:

Here's something from a like-minded Brit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rYT0YvQ3hs

while I'm waiting for materials to arrive to finish off the "Z" Axis I've been plodding along fitting the leadscrews machining a few parts & making the "Vacuum Table" this is what the internals look like before the table lid goes on....The hole at the front is for the "Shop Vac" nozzle to fit
PICT6817.jpg

Last edited:
What type of material will you use for the vaccum table top Ken? Also, you might know this, I've got a big stack of lexan that was left behind when I bought this old house, but I think the lexan is so old that the paper won't come off. I've tried hot soapy water and then I've tried lighter fluid and the stuff won't budge. Is there anything I can use to take the paper off without damaging the lexan? I'd love to make jigs out of this stuff.

Top Bottom