Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brining your uke to the beach

Default Brining your uke to the beach

Now that summer is approaching, I will be finding myself spending weekend afternoon's at the beach. My question is, how many of you bring your ukes to the beach with you? I'd be scared that the sand and possibly the water would ruin it. However, I think it would be a blast to lay on the sand while playing my uke.
    ****Koaloha Tenor Sceptre****Kala Thinline Travel Tenor****

Too much money in mine. I'm going to get a Makala Dolphin so I can do such things...
    Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best. -- Henry Van Dyke

I life about 100 miles from the coast, but I bring my Flea to the park near my house almost every day, & 1st chance I get you can bet it's going to the beach w/ me.
    "There is no road to happiness; happiness is the road."~Bob Dylan's Grandma

I had no problems with sand on my Flea. Although I did have it sitting in my beach chair bag when I wasn't using it. I think it would depend on the relative value as to whether I would take any instrument to the beach, I wouldn't take anything I'd be afraid of messing up.

Fleas were made for the beach. Ever hear of sand fleas?

When we play out, it is usually at beach bars. For that we always take our good instruments.

But if we're just hanging at the beach we take our beachelele, a cigar box uke with a flask and shot glasses stored inside. It even has a gig bag made out of a beach towel. Plus, I take my Risa soprano stick (and a pocket amp) with me everywhere.

It's the Fluke for the beach.
    KoAloha KTM-00 tenor uke
    Recording King RU-998 resonator concert uke
    Kala archtop A/E tenor for gigs
    1920s Stromberg banjo uke
    Polk-a-lay-lee
    Mango Fluke
    BugsGear mahogany Eleuke
    Mainland Classic Mahogany soprano

We do it all the time (S Carolina). Keep it out of the direct sun when you aren't playing it. Yes you will get sand in it. Also wipe off the tuners with a damp cloth as they will rust after awhile. You'll get sea mist all over it. Just wipe it down and enjoy. You bought it to play and the beach is the perfect place.

This will be my first year taking the uke to the beach. For that purpose I got a Makala Concert $55. No worries!
    Maui no ka oi !!!!!
    Kamaka HF-3, Vintage 1935 Kamaka Pineapple, Kanile'a Deluxe 6 string Tenor, Kamaka 1996 HF-38, Makala Concert

I fell in love with the ukulele on the beach late last summer while my husband was playing (and getting a sunburn that outlined a 'uke shape on his torso).
    Now I've ukes of my own, you betcha I will! Looking forward to it.

Thread Information