Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New uke-first acquisition in a year

Default New uke-first acquisition in a year

I haven't been on the site much lately, I've been working a ton. Still, a new uke needs announcing, and quite honestly, my non-ukulele playing friends don't really see the point. (Another one? Don't you already have like 5 or 6 of them?) But you, you understand, don't you?

Last week I pulled the trigger on a Big Island Ukulele Deluxe Honu Concert. I live near the Music Emporium in Lexington, MA. They have most of the big K brands as well as Pono and Fleas and Flukes, etc. I was saving towards something solid and koa and pretty. I tried them all and the Honu really spoke to me. There's not a lot on the forums about them, but they're really quite beautiful.

My only problem so far is that I have this sweet, lovely instrument, but I'm still just a banger and strummer. I think it's time to take some lessons to justify the expense

Congrats - let us see a picture

I tried out a Honu in a shop nearby, too. no deluxe model, but a very beautiful Koa soprano. I know what you mean, that thing sounded so amazing!

Ofcourse we understand! Most of us suffer the UAS Have fun with your new addition.Can't wait to see sum vids and pics!

Every now and then when MGM has a Honu soprano with rope binding, my mouse-finger starts to twitch. I've never heard or played or even seen one in person. But it's good to know you like yours. You know. Just in case.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1. Those who need closure.

ca. 1923-'27 Martin Style 3M, ca. 1927-'28 Martin Style 2M, 1950s Martin Style 1M, ca. 1930 Gibson Uke 3, Kiwaya KTS-7, Mainland Gloss Mahogany Soprano, Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple Soprano, Mainland Maple Soprano Banjo Uke, Flea Soprano, Maccaferri Islander Soprano and Baritone, et al...
    My paltry Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/ukecycle

Congratulations, now play that uke! And pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by tuscadero View Post
    My only problem so far is that I have this sweet, lovely instrument, but I'm still just a banger and strummer. I think it's time to take some lessons to justify the expense
    When I started aquiring my expensive ukes I was a strummer as well. The good ukes have motivated me into improvement. The last year I have worked/practiced hard and really made some significant progress.
    I try to play everyday and I enjoy it more. I also started teaching beginners and it has helped me understand the basics as well. I have even studied more theory and now I find I understand the why along with the how.
    IMHO, if you play, you deserve the best (and most) instrument(s) you can afford. When people ask me why I have so many ukes, I just ask them how many pairs of shoes they have. Of course my 10 ukes go with my 12 guitars.
    Keep Strummin'

Quote Originally Posted by tuscadero View Post
    I haven't been on the site much lately, I've been working a ton. Still, a new uke needs announcing, and quite honestly, my non-ukulele playing friends don't really see the point. (Another one? Don't you already have like 5 or 6 of them?) But you, you understand, don't you?

Last week I pulled the trigger on a Big Island Ukulele Deluxe Honu Concert. I live near the Music Emporium in Lexington, MA. They have most of the big K brands as well as Pono and Fleas and Flukes, etc. I was saving towards something solid and koa and pretty. I tried them all and the Honu really spoke to me. There's not a lot on the forums about them, but they're really quite beautiful.

Oh, my.... They've invented the perfect woman!
    Things get better with age. I'm approaching magnificent....

Kala KA-SC :: Sapele /ebony soprano, handmade :: Kiwaya K-Wave Tele Uke :: Big Island KTO-TR :: Lanikai LU-8EK :: Eastman concert prototype :: vintage banjolele :: Mainland gloss mahogany concert

"And if you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there..." - George Harrison

"Just a few ukulele hooligans getting wild and strummy...." - chindog

5:2576

Congrats on the new uke! Those Honus are lovely.

Congrats on the new uke and this time stick around. :-)

Thread Information