Makala Dolphin - plastic back - review

[...] No matter how expensive the ukes in your collection are, I really do believe that every player should have a dolphin

Wise words! LOLz.

I keep one in my office.

Me too since you posted that word of wisdom!!

I agree with that!

Just played my first ever ukulele public gig today,took along
two ukuleles, one of my tenors,and....the Makala Dolphin!
Why? 'Cos I knew it would sound good,and it did!!!

Last edited:
Just played my first ever ukulele public gig today,took along
two ukuleles, one of my tenors,and....the Makala Dolphin!
Why? 'Cos I knew it would sound good,and it did!!!
Congratulations on your first public gig! I'm glad the Dolphin sounded good, cuz I want one. :)
DAP

what are people stringing theirs with? I actually quite like the black strings it comes with (GHS?) now I've lowered the action more. But anxious to find out what others have found best...

Ordered a metallic blue dolphin from www.theukehut.co.uk. just after Christmas.

I've been really impressed with it - the photos on the web don't do the metallic finish justice.

I love the way it sounds albeit I don't have anything to compare it with as i'm a beginner and it's my first uke.

Was going to buy a Stagg S80 which would have cost me the best part of £60 but I went for the Dolphin on the back of this thread. Glad I did, thanks Pauljmuk :D

Really enjoying playing with this wee instrument - spending 30-60 minutes a day on it when the family has gone to bed - a good way to unwind and chill out.

P.S. mine has black strings on it (the GHS ones I presume) and I like the feel and sound from them.

Action is very easy on it for a total novice like me. I bought a cheap 5-string banjo last year and found it virtually impossible to fret cleanly due to the high action and narrow fretboard. I was half expecting something similar with this but have been really pleasantly surprised how easy it is to learn on and it hardly ever goes out of tune now it's been tuned two or three times.

Buy one!

Happiness is...

purpledolphin.jpg

Aquilas + Dolphin from MGM = Happiness!

i am buying the white one from MGM on ebay.. i will draw on it when i am bored.

good idea huh? ; ) it'd be lovely.

I got a Makala Dolphin at the local Sam Ash. It's a cute little thing, sounds decent and is perfect for carrying around. I knit so I'm thinking about knitting/felting a nicer gig bag for it tho.

I grabbed a pink Dolphin from MGM today for my soon-to-be 6 year old daughter, and a KoAloha for myself. I bet I end up playing the Dolphin just as much! Can't wait - these are our first ukes.

-Todd

I bought my green Makala Dolphin a few months ago as a first uke. Even though I have since treated myself to a Kiwaya KTS-4, the Dolphin is still my 'go to' uke.
I check the tuning each morning and it sits out on a stand ready to play.

Mike

Top Bottom