Fun Build

Bradford that top is so perfect for this project. Beautiful wood too! I'm getting the list together right now and promise to have it tommorow.

Ok, here's the list. I'll have dimensions tommorow that'll just be a guideline. Probably whoever does the sides will close the box and send it to the person doing the binding.

Fun Build UU contest Soprano

1. Top: Bradford
2. Back:
3. Braces:
4. Left side:
5. Right side:
6. Fretboard: Matt Clara
7. Neck:
8. Heal block:
9. Tail block:
10. Bridge Patch:
11. Bridge ,saddle and nut:
12. Binding:
13. Headstock veneer/inlay: Victor Jones
14. Finish:

Last edited:
We'll be glad to add a back if you give us a plan or drawing, or at least dimensions wo work with. Brad, it's great to see you moving this forward, but I suppose we do need to work on the basis of some kind of plan, otherwise Vic will never be able to pull the pieces together.

Erich, the top profile was taken from the early Martin Style One plans by S. Antes. I can send out the dimensions if anyone needs them. I cut the outline 1/16" oversize, so in this case it will fit almost any soprano plan.

Brad

Vic, is it cool if we do the back? And if so...
1) Brad, could you send me the dimensions.
2) Let me know if you want us to put the braces on.

I'm trying to reply, but keep getting logged out and browser crashes when I try to post pics. Happens on other comptuers on my network so it's probably a bad script or something...

Will see if it clears up later and post these plans.

Then put me down for the sides. I can fabricate them but would need to send them on to be bent cause I got no form.

Can be both mahogany or one mahogany and one cherry if it's a mish-mash your looking for. Your call.

Bradford, found this at Elderlys. Assume it's the Antes plan you refer to. Do you know?
"Martin Early Style 1. Soprano, or Standard style. Authentic. Blueprint.
sku: 113-28 .. $3.50"

Last edited:
Then put me down for the sides. I can fabricate them but would need to send them on to be bent cause I got no form.
Can be both mahogany or one mahogany and one cherry if it's a mish-mash your looking for. Your call.
Bradford, found this at Elderlys. Assume it's the Antes plan you refer to. Do you know?
Martin Early Style 1. Soprano, or Standard style. Authentic. Blueprint.
sku: 113-28 .. $3.50

One mahogany and one cherry... sounds like a plan.

I dunno... it's this one from a kit I built. I read somewhere that it's pretty much a Martin style body. I've changed the scale to 13.5 and I've changed other things, thinner bridge patch, soundhole patch etc, but this is the basic starting point. Whatever scale suits Matt, just move the bridge plate and braces accordingly.

I'll post the dimensions later in case you can't read them. Lots of irons in the fire today.

Last edited:
Vic.. if it's the Scott Antes drawing you are working to?? I'll supply the Neck and Heel block, I have some in stock that I made earlier..It's a dovetail job so "good luck" to whoever gets that bit to put together. .. I'll put the bits on the side, and when you are ready.. tell me who to send them to...I have all the other bits also but you can't have them co's it would spoil the Fun:D:D:D

Sounds awesome... but I can't do no dovetail fittin'. I will in the future but the first one will most definitely be wrong I assure you.

Bradford that top is so perfect for this project. Beautiful wood too! I'm getting the list together right now and promise to have it tommorow.

Ok, here's the list. I'll have dimensions tommorow that'll just be a guideline. Probably whoever does the sides will close the box and send it to the person doing the binding.

2. Back:
3. Braces:
4. Left side:
5. Right side:
7. Neck:
8. Heal block:
9. Tail block:
10. Bridge Patch:
12. Binding:
14. Finish:
Where is the Rosette?:D..and Kerfed linings (you can't have bindings without them)

Last edited:
Where is the Rosette?:D..and Kerfed linings (you can't have bindings without them)

Oops... looks like I left a couple of ingredients out of the uke soup. Hmmm... you sure make some purty kerfed linings... Gotta have that neck of yours but someone else will have to attach it, maybe whoever does the binding?

BTW, that plan if from the Stewmac soprano kit, I know I read somewhere that it's a Martin style, that's what made me choose it.

2. Back:
3. Braces:
4. Left side:
5. Right side:
7. Neck: Timbuck
8. Heal block: Timbuck
9. Tail block:
10. Bridge Patch:
12. Binding:
14. Finish:
15. Rosette:
16. Lining

Last edited:
I'll go ahead and do the rosette and cut out the soundhole and add the bridge patch. I prefer that there is some reinforcment on the top before shipping it. It may be best to leave this one unbound, but if someone volunteers, they can go for it. Yes, Fahrner, those are the plans. One word of warning about these plans, they call for the back and top to be .090" or 2.3 mm thick. I learned the hard way that this is too thick. My top is 1.8 mm thick. Erich, here are the dimensions that you may need;
Body length 9.38", 238 mm
Width, upper bout 4.95", 125.7mm
lower bout 6.28", 159.5mm
waist 3.90", 99mm

Matt, when you decide what scale length you are going to use, let me know for the bridge patch placement.
Brad

2. Back:
3. Braces:
4. Left side:
5. Right side:
7. Neck:
8. Heal block:
9. Tail block:
10. Bridge Patch:
12. Binding:
14. Finish:

I think Sven said he'd supply a bridge. For that matter, if one of our European brethren (aka, "bros") would like to do the fretboard because it's less expensive to ship, I'd be happy to take on another part.

I'll go ahead and do the rosette and cut out the soundhole and add the bridge patch. I prefer that there is some reinforcment on the top before shipping it. It may be best to leave this one unbound, but if someone volunteers, they can go for it. Yes, Fahrner, those are the plans. One word of warning about these plans, they call for the back and top to be .090" or 2.3 mm thick. I learned the hard way that this is too thick. My top is 1.8 mm thick. Erich, here are the dimensions that you may need;
waist 3.90", 99mm

Matt, when you decide what scale length you are going to use, let me know for the bridge patch placement.
Brad

Scale length on the plan and for My neck
is 13.625"

Looks like this thing is taking off! You can put me down for a "whatever is left"

Steve

Last edited:
Looks like this thing is taking off! You can put me down for a "whatever is left"

Steve

Ahhhh, you do such nice binding... can you fit a dovetail, I think I read somewhere that you do?

HELP. I'm looking on eBay for a jeweler's saw, I see Zona, Xacto, and various "german style" saws. Which one is the best bang for the buck? Can't spend a lot right now. I'll probably spend more on the blades, swiss rounded backs.

Last edited:
Sorry; Do you want to bend the sides? My forms are for tenor and bari.

Yep, I'll bend 'em and close the box. then send it to the neck fitter. About .065" thick, 2.5" wide and 14.5" long, and I'll hack away from there.

waist 3.90", 99mm

Brad
Thanks Brad. Have ordered the plans. Should have them in a few days. If convenient would you mind sending me the dimensions of of the sides in the flat? That would allow me a head start.

Making them 14" long allows for a liittle fudge factor. The sides are 2.125" deep at the heel and 1.813" at the neck.

Brad

Top Bottom