Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steel string ukes - a tally

Default Steel string ukes - a tally

What companies currently produce steel-string ukes? Are they acoustic or electric? I'm trying to get a tally of who makes them.

I've seen some Jupiter electrics with them. I saw a thread that suggested Eleuke was coming out with some models, but haven't seen one yet. Any others?

My interest in steel strings just perked up about 1,000%. I borrowed a Boss eBand JS-8 from the local music store. I has a huge library of amp sims, effects, and loops (with drums, bass and rhythm). Plus it can loop a phrase for learning, input songs from USB, iPod or flash drive, and record pieces. Tons of features in a small box that doubles as a mini-amp.

My ukes sound great through it, but I also want to try steel - maybe open-tuned slide. Thought it might be worth looking into to see who offered them. Tenor, of course.
    Ian
    -------------------------------------------
    “Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum, et tertium non datur. To err is human; to persevere in error is diabolical; there is no third option.”
    Seneca the Younger
    Ukulele reviews * Vintage Uke Music * Tequila * Henry Hudson * Harmonica reviews * Blog

Risa make fabulous steel-string electrics. I have their new Tenor Les Paul model (with humbucking pickups!), which is definitely my favourite, primary uke.

Soprano Electric (single coil)
    Tenor Electric (single coil)
    8-string electric

Soprano Les Paul Electrics (humbuckers):
    Black
    Sunburst
    Mahogany

Tenor Les Paul Electrics:
    Black
    Sunburst
    Mahogany

I don't have a great sound sample of it yet.
    But I use it in this video after 2:00 minutes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM-bu5__RKw
    (first clean, then with some distortion)
    Last edited by kissing; 04-30-2010 at 05:31 AM.

Thanks. I'll check them out. I trust they have a sales outlet or distributor in North America...
    Last edited by ichadwick; 04-30-2010 at 05:24 AM.
    Ian
    “Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum, et tertium non datur. To err is human; to persevere in error is diabolical; there is no third option.”
    Seneca the Younger
    Ukulele reviews * Vintage Uke Music * Tequila * Henry Hudson * Harmonica reviews * Blog

Not likely, I ordered mine direct from ukulele.de Germany. If you make an account and login, you get 19% off, as you're exempt from European VAT tax.

I have an Electric Tenor Red by RISA and it's amazing. Two single lipsticks and a great sound.
    If you wanna check it out I just recorded a song on it for the Mya-Moe contest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMzIH58ApkI
    qualsiasi cosa tocca lui la distrugge

Quote Originally Posted by ichadwick View Post
    My ukes sound great through it, but I also want to try steel - maybe open-tuned slide.
    Don't even know if one's available anywhere, but wouldn't a tenor reso-uke with steel strings be perfect for slide?
    Things get better with age. I'm approaching magnificent....

Kala KA-SC :: Sapele /ebony soprano, handmade :: Kiwaya K-Wave Tele Uke :: Big Island KTO-TR :: Lanikai LU-8EK :: Eastman concert prototype :: vintage banjolele :: Mainland gloss mahogany concert

"And if you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there..." - George Harrison

"Just a few ukulele hooligans getting wild and strummy...." - chindog

5:2576

The Risas are nice enough to warrant my attention, but the price is a tad hight and shipping to Canada is a killer. I'm looking for one I can get here. Seems I need to keep looking...
    Ian
    Seneca the Younger

Might be worth a trip to Elderly in Michigan.
    Ukulele Player is Still ONLINE.... you can find it here:

https://archive.org/details/issue30_201712
    (Ukulele Player Magazine)
    Ukulele Player Magazine STORE...
    http://www.zazzle.com/ukeplayermagazine

Elderly sells them? Didn't know. They're a 6-8 hour drive away. Will check their store.

I don't usually mind paying shipping from the USA - although in the past Elderly has quoted me DOUBLE the cost to ship from Michigan as MGM quoted to ship from Hawaii and others have quoted to ship from California.
    Ian
    Seneca the Younger

Thread Information