My Strap Solution

AC Baltimore

Reaction score
It has probably been done but maybe someone will benefit from this.

Tools:
Hot Glue Gun
Sewing Needle
Scissors

Material:
Dollar Store Thin Dog Collar
Industrial Strength Velcro
Cheap Lightweight Strap

A strap button will need to be installed at the butt of the uke. There is a wood block in the framing so it will get a good bite. I don't like the idea of putting a screw in the neck of my ukes, and the wood on the sides don't seem to be strong enough... thus this method.

strap1.jpg

strap2.jpg

I cut the collar apart keeping everything as long as possible. Once everything is cut, hit the ends with a lighter to stop further fraying.

Attach the female connector with a small loop secured by hot glue. Once that is cool and dry, cut a square of velcro. Attach one piece just below the newly made loop, again using hot glue.

Measure around the dead of your uke and mark the desired length. Now glue the remaining piece of velcro at the end of this strip. Don't forget to use the lighter method if you trimmed again. Once everything is cool and dry you are ready to attach your new "strap on"? to your uke.

Using the same loop and glue method, attach the male connector to your other strip of collar. Sew the strip to your strap and rock on.

P.S. Someone pointed out that PW sells the item in the photo below. I have one and they are pretty good, I just do not care for the bulky snap and bungee quality in the straps. Besides DIY is much more fun :)

I also wanted to point out that you can use glue rather than velcro if you so choose... I just wanted to keep the option of removing it for whatever reason.

423930.jpg

P.S. Someone pointed out that PW sells the item in the photo below. I have one and they are pretty good, I just do not care for the bulky snap and bungee quality in the straps.
I have the PW strap. It's good for a guitar but it's a bit long for an uke. If you take a guitar strap and shorten it as much as possible, it's still likely that your ukulele headstock will hang too low.

I'd either go with your solution for home-made or get a Neotech mandolin strap (which offers the same functionality).

I have the PW strap. It's good for a guitar but it's a bit long for an uke. If you take a guitar strap and shorten it as much as possible, it's still likely that your ukulele headstock will hang too low.

I'd either go with your solution for home-made or get a Neotech mandolin strap (which offers the same functionality).

Just looked at the Neotech mandolin strap, that looks pretty badass, I am going to try one.

It is definitely fun to create your own solution when it doesn't exist yet. I'm lazy though. I had to put a strap button in but I have had good luck with a strap from Mainland ukes. (However, the straps are solid and thin straps of leather. They are not "stitched" as described on website and shown in pictures).

http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/product.sc?productId=2

Top Bottom