Koaloha Concert or Koaloha Super Concert

jordan bello

Reaction score
I have a mainland concert mahogany gloss. First Ukulele. Love it. However, UAS is setting in and I will be looking to upgrade in the next few months. Everyone seems happy with their Koaloha Concerts. So that looks to be my next ukulele.

Sometimes, my Mainland Concert feels tight on the fretboard, e.g., squeezing 234 on the fourth fret for an E chord is tough when you got sausages for fingers. (I know that there are other ways to do it, but I like to learn the "traditional" method than vary once I have that down.)

So, if I upgrade I was curious if there are any likable/dislikable differences between the Koaloha Concert or the Super Concert in addition to the obvious difference that the fretboard would be a little more forgiving.

For example, does the weight difference in the neck throw it off somehow? Does it just feel wrong compared to other concerts? Or is it awesome? Any input is greatly appreciated.

I have a KoAloha concert. I wish I had gotten a super concert. I can't help you other than that. I don't care as much for tenors as concerts but I do like the longer neck. I can't imagine a KoAloha that isn't designed perfectly. Hopefully someone who knows the difference will chime in.

I have a KoAloha super concert, as well as a Big Island Honu concert. I like both, but I like the extra room of the super concert more. I used to have a (non-KoAloha) tenor, but found it difficult to play standing up without a strap. The super concert body is much easier to hang onto. Plus, the super concert is loud and rich sounding.

I love my KoAloha Super Concert.
It has the sweet sound from a small body and the boom of a tenor.
I keep mine in low G.

I have a KoAloha Concert, Super Concert and Tenor. The concert is two years old and was played a lot before I got it. The other two I bought new from MGM and they really haven't opened up yet, or at least that's what I assume because they aren't nearly as loud as the concert. Each is unique in it's own right so I won't try to compare them. I like them all equally. Now if I could only have one of the three it would be the tenor. Only two, the tenor and the concert. High g on the concert and low G on the tenor.
My advice, keep your concert and get a tenor when you are able.

Jude

Go for the super concert. It allows you to still have that concert sound (if that is what you like)but with more room to work on the fretboard. I definitely prefer it to the regular concert scale. Or you could think about a tenor......

Go for the super concert. It allows you to still have that concert sound (if that is what you like)but with more room to work on the fretboard. I definitely prefer it to the regular concert scale. Or you could think about a tenor......

I have several guitars, including a small body guitar. I love the smaller ukulele sound. The tenors I have tried are too close in sound to my small body guitar. There's just something about that soprano/concert sound.

Buy them both, so my son can go to college. I kid. The super concert that we produce is one of my favorite models. The smaller body and longer scale length make for a unique sound, between a concert's brightness and tenor's depth. Rather than lose apsects of one, you get the best of both. Aside from the tone, I do like the added room on the fret board. I feel most comfortable on a tenor scale.

Buy them both, so my son can go to college. I kid.

Good one! I think my brother and I (and lots of folks here) are contributing to the cause :D We're both solid KoAloha fans. I'm trying to figure out how I could explain the arrival of one of your new Herb Ohta, Jr. models to my wife. Sure, you'd get a semester or two at a nice college for your son but I would have live on bread and water for a few years. ;)

That is one seriously fine instrument. I had the pleasure of taking a class with Herb a couple weeks ago and I can't get the sound of that uke out of my head. Of course, his playing was no small part of that.

My Sceptre is killer and everyone is astounded at the tone and projection. My brother's concert floors people when they play it for the huge sound coming from such a small instrument. As he puts it, "each note is alive...they simply pop off the strings effortlessly." On top of that, it weighs almost nothing...incredibly light.

Ooops, going off topic a bit...

To the OP, I would go for the super concert...the tenor scale and string spacing is very comfortable and I also have sausage fingers. The concert is easier to play than some others but the extra room on the super will help you get the best tone when fretting. All KoAlohas I have played have a signature, resonant sound with tons of sustain. I recommend getting a MiSi pickup installed if you can. They make the uke sound the same amplified as acoustic, only now the uke goes to 11 :biglaugh:

I have a KoAloha Concert and Super concert. While I must admit that I love to play them both, I especially like the feel and sound of the super concert. My vote....................get the super concert

Buy them both, so my son can go to college. I kid. The super concert that we produce is one of my favorite models. The smaller body and longer scale length make for a unique sound, between a concert's brightness and tenor's depth. Rather than lose apsects of one, you get the best of both. Aside from the tone, I do like the added room on the fret board. I feel most comfortable on a tenor scale.

Thanks Paul. You guys are the talk of UU. Everyone seems to agree that for quality, value, and consistency, KoAloha is the best.

Looks like the Super Concert is the way to go for me. I knew there had to be a reason why most people call it a "Super" concert rather than a longneck concert. Thanks all.

Looks like the Super Concert is the way to go for me. I knew there had to be a reason why most people call it a "Super" concert rather than a longneck concert. Thanks all.

I wonder why the longneck soprano isn't called a super soprano??? I have one of those and it might be my best sounding 'ukulele.

Super must be a ukuele term of art: shorthand for the next neck size up. Kanilea makes a "Super" Tenor. Ohana makes a long neck Soprano with a Tenor neck. Query the point: doest that make it a Super, Super Soprano? dare I say Super Duper Soprano?

A few quick questions: (I might be thinking about a Koaloha concert or super concert in the future) Is the spacing between frets the same on the super concert as on the regular concert? I play and enjoy my tenors but being able to stretch another fret or two on a concert would be nice, assuming the fret spacing is closer than on a tenor. Also, how do Koalohas stack up against Kanilea concerts?

A few quick questions: (I might be thinking about a Koaloha concert or super concert in the future) Is the spacing between frets the same on the super concert as on the regular concert? I play and enjoy my tenors but being able to stretch another fret or two on a concert would be nice, assuming the fret spacing is closer than on a tenor. Also, how do Koalohas stack up against Kanilea concerts?

No, the spacing is a tenor. The super concert is a concert body and a tenor neck (17" scale)
I primarily play tenors and have no adjustment period to the super c.

applause, applause, applause!!!

I honestly think you're making a wise choice. Oh, I really wish I had done that. I wasn't thinking about it at the time. I was in too big of a hurry to get a new ukulele. I'm so glad MGM was watching out for me and recommended the KoAloha. Enjoy.

Top Bottom