Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Koaloha Concert or Koaloha Super Concert

Default Koaloha Concert or Koaloha Super Concert

I have a mainland concert mahogany gloss. First Ukulele. Love it. However, UAS is setting in and I will be looking to upgrade in the next few months. Everyone seems happy with their Koaloha Concerts. So that looks to be my next ukulele.

Sometimes, my Mainland Concert feels tight on the fretboard, e.g., squeezing 234 on the fourth fret for an E chord is tough when you got sausages for fingers. (I know that there are other ways to do it, but I like to learn the "traditional" method than vary once I have that down.)

So, if I upgrade I was curious if there are any likable/dislikable differences between the Koaloha Concert or the Super Concert in addition to the obvious difference that the fretboard would be a little more forgiving.

For example, does the weight difference in the neck throw it off somehow? Does it just feel wrong compared to other concerts? Or is it awesome? Any input is greatly appreciated.

I have a KoAloha concert. I wish I had gotten a super concert. I can't help you other than that. I don't care as much for tenors as concerts but I do like the longer neck. I can't imagine a KoAloha that isn't designed perfectly. Hopefully someone who knows the difference will chime in.

Do you wish you got a super concert just to have the extra finger room or for another reason?

I have a KoAloha super concert, as well as a Big Island Honu concert. I like both, but I like the extra room of the super concert more. I used to have a (non-KoAloha) tenor, but found it difficult to play standing up without a strap. The super concert body is much easier to hang onto. Plus, the super concert is loud and rich sounding.

Quote Originally Posted by jordan bello View Post
    Do you wish you got a super concert just to have the extra finger room or for another reason?
    I think the higher frets would be easier for me to play. The frets on a concert don't bother me. It's what I started on.

I love my KoAloha Super Concert.
    It has the sweet sound from a small body and the boom of a tenor.
    I keep mine in low G.
    Keep Strummin'

I have a KoAloha Concert, Super Concert and Tenor. The concert is two years old and was played a lot before I got it. The other two I bought new from MGM and they really haven't opened up yet, or at least that's what I assume because they aren't nearly as loud as the concert. Each is unique in it's own right so I won't try to compare them. I like them all equally. Now if I could only have one of the three it would be the tenor. Only two, the tenor and the concert. High g on the concert and low G on the tenor.
    My advice, keep your concert and get a tenor when you are able.

Jude
    "Man cannot live by bread alone, he must have peanut butter" -Kruger Bear-

Go for the super concert. It allows you to still have that concert sound (if that is what you like)but with more room to work on the fretboard. I definitely prefer it to the regular concert scale. Or you could think about a tenor......

Quote Originally Posted by Ukulele Dude View Post
    Go for the super concert. It allows you to still have that concert sound (if that is what you like)but with more room to work on the fretboard. I definitely prefer it to the regular concert scale. Or you could think about a tenor......
    I have several guitars, including a small body guitar. I love the smaller ukulele sound. The tenors I have tried are too close in sound to my small body guitar. There's just something about that soprano/concert sound.

Buy them both, so my son can go to college. I kid. The super concert that we produce is one of my favorite models. The smaller body and longer scale length make for a unique sound, between a concert's brightness and tenor's depth. Rather than lose apsects of one, you get the best of both. Aside from the tone, I do like the added room on the fret board. I feel most comfortable on a tenor scale.

Thread Information