Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low G Concert ukulele strings?

Thumbs up Low G Concert ukulele strings?

I went to my local music store to purchase some 'ukulele strings with Low G tuning for my concert size 'ukulele. They only had Low G's for tenors...They make concert 'ukulele strings with Low G tuning right??

If so, can someone PLEASE recommend me a brand? I'm looking to order online and I need to make the purchase soon. Thanks.

Although low G tends to favor Tenors due to the larger body and naturally deeper tone, yes there are low G sets for smaller sizes. www.juststrings.com sells Aquilas in Concert size low G sets.

I like the low G Worth Clear, which I have found consistently on http://www.ukuleleworld.com/worth-cm...tring-set.html. When MusicGuyMic on ebay has them, his shipping price can't be beat.
    Remember, you are buying 2 sets of strings when you get the Worths, so don't be shocked at the price. Worth also offers low G separately with a length good for 4 in a package http://www.ukuleleworld.com/product....7&cat=7&page=1. I think, but I am not sure, that the diameter on the low G is the same on the concert as it is on the tenor.
    The Worth low G is not a wound string. Most other manufacturers of strings will have a wound string for low G. I prefer the low G to be smooth.
    –Lori

I've tried to put a low G on my custom MP Concert and it was great. It can produce much more bottom end that I thought a concert size could do. But my preference when it comes to low G is simply to put a regular 4th string of classical guitar strings set. It just sounds more low G compare to unwound string...but that's my preference and it's good for my style of playing.
    http://soundcloud.com/baouke/ : ukulele mixed with some electro-ambient lap steel music.....

http://www.youtube.com/user/baouke : anything about ukulele, lap slide ukulele, dulcimer, shahi baaja or mountain dulcimer

You can also buy Single strings. I bougth a set of D'addario Titanium and wanted a low G so I bought a couple J4704 strings to use as my low G String. I wanted to try these since some folks on here had a thread about the J4804 sting for low G. The difference between the 4804 and 4704 is high tension vs. normal. I went with the normal Tension for my concert, also you cannot buy single 4804 anymore. I have yet to try it out but the J4804 was highly reccomended by some people that know a lot about ukes.

I have a concert strung low G using Aquilla strings. The G string is wound, and the rest are Nylgut. It is my only exposure to low G so far, and I like it!
    Things get better with age. I'm approaching magnificent....

Kala KA-SC :: Sapele /ebony soprano, handmade :: Kiwaya K-Wave Tele Uke :: Big Island KTO-TR :: Lanikai LU-8EK :: Eastman concert prototype :: vintage banjolele :: Mainland gloss mahogany concert

"And if you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there..." - George Harrison

"Just a few ukulele hooligans getting wild and strummy...." - chindog

5:2576

Manalishi Guest

You could always do what many players do,and fit a set of Tenor
    Low G strings! They work fine,I have done it a few times,no extra
    tension on the neck to worry about.I also fit Concert (high G) strings
    on my sopranos.Better sound,slightly more volume,depending what
    you want?

Talking

Thanks for all the help.
    I ended up getting Aquila's Concert Low G.

There is no need to buy a different set of strings to experiment with low G tuning. Just move your high G string to the E position and move the C & E strings down one position. So string your uke C, E, G, A then tune it low G, C, E, A. This also avoids using a wound string for low G. If you don't like Low G tuning just switch the strings back at no harm or cost other than a few minutes of your time.
    My News is Blues!
    www.dtfbmusic.com
    www.youtube.com/DTFBMusic
    http://musicandjewelry.com

Kala KA-JTE/2TS Jazz archtop electric tenor
    Kala KA-PSS pineapple soprano
    Several custom made tenors and a baritone

I get my large circumference from too much pi.

Quote Originally Posted by the52blues View Post
    There is no need to buy a different set of strings to experiment with low G tuning. Just move your high G string to the E position and move the C & E strings down one position. So string your uke C, E, G, A then tune it low G, C, E, A. This also avoids using a wound string for low G. If you don't like Low G tuning just switch the strings back at no harm or cost other than a few minutes of your time.
    I know this is an old comment thread but it just blew my mind.
    If this is for real then
    From the island of.... Alameda
    Pono MTD-SP l Cocobolo Ukuleles Tenor l Sonny D Ohta Sahn Longneck Concert(ish) l Pono Mango Pineapple Concert l Fluke Stripe Tenor
    Dusty project - Cigar box Uke parts

Thread Information