Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My fingers hurt

Default My fingers hurt

While I'm waiting for my sceptre to get here I unearthed a souvineer grade Westbrook ukulele that has been sitting in it's original box for at least the last 48 years untouched

and I tryed to teach my self chords all day and all night Sunday now my finger tips hurt
    LOL I'm sure they will toughen up as time goes on
    this post dosent really have a point or question I just wanted to show off my cheapy but old uke

Your fingertips are supposed to hurt. That's a cool ukulele.

That explains why uke players make funny faces while they play I figure it hurts
    that guy on uke got mail is always smileing he must like it

Expect some volunteers to " play your Sceptre for you until your fingers heal ".
    cletus

I actualy would love someone that can play to play it because I can't not yet anyways
    but I will do my best who knows maybe the divine intervention that inspired the sceptre will find me too
    But just incase that dosent happen I ordered a DVD lesson

After a while your fingers will toughen up, I had such big calluses the other day they started chipping and were catching on things, and I had to actually peel them off, I expect that they will just come back even stronger and more powerful though!!!
    My YouTube Channel
    Ukulele + Guilele Fretboard Note Chart!
    Ohana TK-35G - "Lamia" - Fremont Blacklines
    Kala Acacia Tenor - "Harry" - Fremont Blackline Low G
    KoAloha D-VI - "Kubrick"
    Cordoba Guilele CE
    Gretsch G9126 Guitar-Ukulele

yeah, i play for an hour a day or so and have done so for about a year. i thought i was getting over the hurt fingers, then i got my high-tension eleuke with uber thin aquila strings and now they hurt all over. and yes, it feels good!! it will go away eventually.

as for the uke, that's a familiar looking uke. i have a beltone soprano from 1968 and it looks exactly the same. the bridge and color are a little different, but the fretboard and the coloring of the fret markers is exactly the same. it even looks like the headstock is shaped exactly the same. go to my profile and check it out.
    Kani ke ō, he ihona pali
    Jason - the 'ukulele playing bassoonist punk!!

Oscar Schmidt OU-4 Tenor 四弦 shigen
    Lanikai LU-8 Tenor 八弦 hagen
    EleUke Cutaway Jazz Concert 電弦 dengen
    1968ish Beltone Soprano 旧弦 kyuugen
    1950ish Dixie Banjo Uke 芋弦 imogen
    Makala Dolphin Red burst 赤弦 akagen --my son's uke

My fingers hurt for about 2 or 3 weeks at first...well, they were numb and hurt. What I do to keep my calluses is use Aveeno lotion (no smell, so it's not girlie, if you want to try it). If the edges get rough, I use an emery board (nail file) just enough to smooth the edges. I do NOT want to peel off my calluses!

Also, it *is* true that even after you've been playing for months and think your fingertips are all tough, if you don't practice enough every day, you can hit a day of heavy playing and suddenly end up with sore fingertips again! Also playing an ukulele with too-high action will make your fingertips sore faster/more easily. That might be what's happening with your vintage while-you-wait uke.

But it's all worth it. I can even play the thin metal strings on my Strumstick now too! Well, not for HOURS, but I'm surprised! I can't wait to see what happens when I try my mandolin, though.

CountryMouse
    Flukes: Island Design custom; Red Cowboy | Fleas: Denim concert; Grape soprano | Enterline CBU #7
    Lanikais: LB6-S banjolele; LU-21 | Eleuke Mahogany | aNueNue U900 pineapple | Luna Great Wave pineapple
    Kalas: Purple Paisley Ukadelic; Watermelon | Red Hilo soprano | Dolphins: Pearl White; Pink Burst; Green Burst;
    Blue Metallic | Mahalos: Blue Tr Fruit; Smiley Face; Hearts; Black Les Paul | Tom Pocket Uke | Plastic: Woodi; TV Pal

Twitter | Blog | Facebook | YouTube | YouTube Too

Your souvenir grade uke with the box, might be worth a pretty penny to some collector. Sometimes the original packaging and uke combined is really sought after by some.
    UWC; only those who have not been can rationalize not going.

My mom bought it in the early 60s but never really played it ..
    She passed away 7 months ago so to me its monetary value dosent matter to me
    I ordered new tuners and strings for it in an attempt to make it sound better..... But it won't be for sale as long as I own it

Thread Information