new to the site and looking for an answer

yoshowa

Reaction score
i have recently started playing uke, and have quickly gone from one a mohalo saprano (got from a local shop and it was exactly what i paid for it cheap, got it for may daughter but it sparked my love for this particular instrument), the kala archtop tenor ( first real purchase for myself, i love this ukulele good sound and it feels good), and i just recently baught a lanikia spalted mango-ce (great tone and volume, much more than what i was expecting out of a concert size), and now for my question. Between the tenor and the concert there are things i would love to get out of just one the tenor seems to be strung tighter and has more announciation between strings i love this but i enjoy the scale and timber of the concert more is there a way to get a tighter string on the concert, i am currently using aquilla strings on all my ukes and enjoy the sound, but would a tenor string on the concert help. remember i am new to this but know my sounds and how things should feel i've been playing various instruments for more than 15 years not long as music goes but just enough to know 1 or 2 things. Thanks in advance

josh

Welcome to UU! I'm not positive of the answer to your question. I only have tenors. I would just start trying different strings until you get the feel and sound you're looking for. Everyone has a favourite type and you probably get a ton of suggestions. Right now I'm using classical guitar strings on mine and I think you can do this on a concert. Have fun finding what you're looking for.

You could tune up the concert half a step.

Welcome. I really don't have an answer either, but it sounds like you are looking for some higher tension strings for your concert. I know Worth makes different tension sets (low medium high). They are not Nylgut like the Aqulia so they might feel a little different. You can also try out Classical Guitar strings like Rzr mentioned. I have some D'addario T2 Titanium strings on my concert right now. I got the Normal Tension because I don't like the tension to high but they make Hard and Extra Hard.

But like Rzr said it will really come down to trial and error to find what best suits you.

Try some worth "Strong" strings. Those are high tension. I think D'Addario strings are also high tension.

i have recently started playing uke, and have quickly gone from one a mohalo saprano (got from a local shop and it was exactly what i paid for it cheap, got it for may daughter but it sparked my love for this particular instrument), the kala archtop tenor ( first real purchase for myself, i love this ukulele good sound and it feels good), and i just recently baught a lanikia spalted mango-ce (great tone and volume, much more than what i was expecting out of a concert size), and now for my question. Between the tenor and the concert there are things i would love to get out of just one the tenor seems to be strung tighter and has more announciation between strings i love this but i enjoy the scale and timber of the concert more is there a way to get a tighter string on the concert, i am currently using aquilla strings on all my ukes and enjoy the sound, but would a tenor string on the concert help. remember i am new to this but know my sounds and how things should feel i've been playing various instruments for more than 15 years not long as music goes but just enough to know 1 or 2 things. Thanks in advance

josh

I'm new to uke also, but I know that with guitar if you use too high of a tension on a guitar that is not set up properly for that tension it can tear the bridge off or do other less drastic damage.

As everyone else has recommended, I would try strings with higher tension but specifically made for concert ukuleles. I also have been using aquilas, but due to high praise I ordered some Worth clears in a medium. They also come in light and hard. I would presume that light and hard refers to the tension. I bought them from Mike of musicguymic fame and I'm sure if you shot him an email he could direct you to the string you're looking for.

thank you to everyone i suppose i'll try the worth first and move on from there it's the couple day wait for the tuning to hold is my big reason for asking trial and error i think could take a lifetime but with as much as i seem to love the uke i'm sure that it's worth it....

I have three ukes strung up with three different types of strings -- fluorocarbon, nylon and Nylgut. While I think the diameters of the strings are pretty much the same (I should have paid more attention to the packaging), I can tell you that the fluorocarbon and the nylon feel tighter than my Aquilas, and again in terms of "feel", the fluorocarbon feels thinnest, followed by the Nylguts and then the nylon. The sound will be different, but you might like the action from nylon strings.

Actually I believe the tension has more to do with the scale length than with the string. A longer string has more tension than a shorter string tuned to the same pitch. So a Tenor naturally has more string tension than a concert or soprano tuned to the same notes.

Try some worth "Strong" strings. Those are high tension. I think D'Addario strings are also high tension.

Yeah, these are similar to my recommendations. I'm guessing it's the tension that you're talking about. D'Addario definitely has that going on. My Worth recommendation to you for a concert size would be to get the ones that are their fat strings. Elderly carries these. You'd probably like the clears.

thanks again to everyone you guys have been great everyone here seems wonderfully helpful, i'm glad to be part of such a friendly comunity, and hope someday to be able to help others the way you have all helped me thank you

It's not exactly what you're going for, but a super concert has a concert body and a tenor neck, so higher string tension, but a more tradition ukulele sound. It would likely answer some of your concerns, but not all.

Top Bottom