My Current Lineup

KevinFL

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I've recently been smitten with the ukulele and although I haven't put the guitar down completely, it's getting neglected these days. I had a growing list of things I planned on Ebaying, but hadn't gotten around to. My cravings for a variety of ukes to try prompted me to finally get some of the stuff listed and I turned the proceeds into ukes.

From left to right are...

Kala solid mahogany Pocket Uke...my latest acquisition, it arrived yesterday
Makala soprano...my first uke
Kala solid mahogany concert
Kala solid acacia tenor...I fitted this with a Mi-Si pickup so I could plug into the PA at band practice
Flea soprano...Craigslist find that I couldn't pass up

Now that I have a good range from which to decide my preferences, I plan to put UAS on hold and go for something a bit higher up the food chain in the future.

100_2629600x450.jpg

Sweet little group! The Flea is a great color. How are you digging the acacia? There have been several threads discussing issues with some of them.
I have a Fluke or Flea in my UAS, just putting together the $$ right now.

How are you digging the acacia? There have been several threads discussing issues with some of them.

Overall I really like the acacia uke. The wood is beautiful and the tone is very nice. It's not as loud as the mahogany concert, which is the only thing it leaves me wanting. I don't know if it's the norm for the acaia, or if I just have an exceptionally loud concert. I was expecting it to be the other way around with the two. I've only tried it with Aquila's so I may find a better balance with other string changes in the future. And I love the open headstock design...it's my favorite on guitars too.

I have the same tenor Kala acacia, and have noticed the same thing about volume. Mine isn't as loud as most of my sopranos or my concert.

Lol the pic is like "which one is not like the rest." The fluke is the black sheep.. or is that teal ?

I've wanted to try a Kala solid mahog concert...do you play that one much? How do you like it?

Lol the pic is like "which one is not like the rest." The fluke is the black sheep.. or is that teal ?

The "fluke" is actually a flea, but since all the other ukuleles have figure-8 bodies and are wood-colored, I guess the flea is the fluke. :)

Last edited:
I'm most curious about the Pocket (curiouser and curiouser). Is it too awkward to play? Do you like the tone? Do you see yourself taking it everywhere? How do you like it?

I've wanted to try a Kala solid mahog concert...do you play that one much? How do you like it?

That one probably has my favorite tone of them all. I've got an issue with buzz at the bridge though with sympathetic vibrations from C/C#/D/D# on the C string. I think it's the bridge screw because when I apply pressure to the little ebony cap that covers it, the buzzing stops. I'm trying to get this fixed without having to send it back, which was offered by the seller for a swap, but I'm so afraid of getting a replacement that doesn't have the tone and volume of this one. I'm trying everything I can to get this fixed on my end before sending it back as a last resort. I really dig this one...certainly try one out if you can.

I'm most curious about the Pocket (curiouser and curiouser). Is it too awkward to play? Do you like the tone? Do you see yourself taking it everywhere? How do you like it?

It's not too awkward to play, but some chords, especially up the neck can be a lesson in finger gymnastics...but most are not an issue. The tone is comforting but not complex by any means. It reminds me of old 78 recordings. I can see myself taking it many places, but probably not to a jam...it just doesn't have the volume to cut through several instruments. But the answer is yes, I really do like it. It seems quite well crafted and not at all toy like. The tuners work very well and it holds its tuning. It has some rough fret ends that I'm going to dress and polish, but other than that it's good to go. It's about the fun factor for me with this one. I can very easily tote this anywhere and have a nice little uke to pick.

Top Bottom