AAARRRGGHHH - ding on my KoAloha Tenor

ghostrdr

Reaction score
I was happily playing it this afternoon and I decided to take a closer look at it. On the bottom left side on the front (if playing, it's covered by my right forearm), there's a 1/4 to 1/2 inch ding. It didn't go all the way through, but there's definitely a divot or a little piece missing.

I'm sure its my fault as I had been leaving it in a KALA folding stand on the floor. Someone must have banged into it or maybe the cleaning lady took the vacuum cleaner and hit it or something.

I am really irritated and bummed.

I just bought some wall hangers off eBay. Hopefully they'll come soon.

I know to protect the instrument, it should be in the case, but I find if it's in the case, it doesn't get played (out of sight, out of mind). Right now, it's within arms reach of the computer, so I just pick it up, strum for a little bit, and then put it back in the stand. Also, the room that I'm in is next to the bathroom with the main shower that we all use. The radio shack hygrometer has been indicating that the room humidity is 56-64%. Even assuming the calibration is off a bit, I figure it's o.k.

I'm generally pretty careful with my stuff, so I'm a bit disappointed that my uke has this ding.

*sigh* my wife said the instrument, now has *character* Oh well.

Those little floor stands always make me think of the little device that holds the football in place prior to a kick-off.:) You'll like the wall hanger, makes your uke safe and accessable. If your instruments don't have a few "honorable scars" they're not being played enough.

Jude

These things happen, sorry bro.

I got my first ding on my Mainland concert the other day. It was in its case on a park bench when I picked it up to leave. One problem: The case wasn't latched. The little guy came flipping outta there like a springboard diver doing a triple twist and landed face down on the cement. I was pleased to see that the only mark was a small ding in the rope binding. Eh... just a love bite... I said I was sorry and since it was still in tune, I figured the apology was accepted. Now I know why people like the flukes and fleas so much. Considering my "luck" with ukes lately, I should really look into one of those aluminum diamond plate babies MGM was showing off a while back!

On the days when my cleaning people show up, any of my ukes that are out on their stands go back into their cases. I also put them in a room that the cleaners don't go into. I never take any undo chances with them. If I ding them myself, so be it.

As far as wall hangers go, I would be nervous of a uke getting knocked off with dire consequences. Has this ever happened to any one?

Sorry to hear about the ding on your KoAloha ghostrdr.

As far as wall hangers go, I would be nervous of a uke getting knocked off with dire consequences. Has this ever happened to any one?

I have a couple instruments on wall hangers (I grabbed mine from a hardware liquidator's store for a couple bucks each). Even though they aren't as fancy as the wall mounts made especially for guitars and ukes (with the end cushions and everything), the angled part of the headstocks fit snugly in the slight joint in the hanger shape. The only way these things would get knocked off the wall is if someone were to hit them, probably intentionally, very hard. I'm sure the "true" mounts are even more secure. Wall hangers are pretty good to use.

Here's an ugly scenario that I fell victim to. Imagine this: Combine the long neck of an acoustic bass guitar and a low ceiling fan. Talk about a battle scar! I was so traumatized by the whack, I actually got a headache. Severe body cringe.

--Dave E.

The first ding is the deepest. Figuratively speaking, of course. It sucks when an instrument is no longer as good as new, but eventually it grows on you.

Buying used/factory seconds is a great way to avoid the shock of dinging a pristine uke.

Enjoy your ding, because you will have more =) They're all just stories! I took a big ole chip out of my uke when I was installing my pickup, it sucked at the time and I was mad at myself even though I had been extremely careful. But it happens, I don't even look at it anymore, the uke's playability and sound didn't change so who cares! =D

I have been strangely fortunate in that even when gigging all the time, I have had some guitars and ukuleles for years that never ever had a ding, dent, or scratch. I new Parkwood guitar does not have a pick-guard and to some people that is a big issue. I have had several guitars without them and not a scratch in the top.

Redwood top dinged up

I recently came upon a redwood top custom ukulele (which I later found out here on UU forum that Deach had previously owned...small world). I think clawhammer is fun to play, and immediately began playing with this technique. After about an hour I realized just how much my 'claw' (fingernail) hammers when I play this. The redwood is soft, and I added about 6 decent, nail dings to a top that already had a few.

Looks this this will be my uke that has the most "character!" Lol. I don't mind too much...it wasn't perfect to begin with and the price was more than right.

I know the feeling I just put the first little ding in my koaloha sceptre and no matter how much I rub my finger over it I can't seem to magicly make it go away
@&$#^¥£€<-- gosh darn

The first ding on my Risa Les Paul was sooo heartbreaking!
A white ding on its pretty face.

But I got over it :)
And now like it that the ding is there. It reminds me of the camp I took it to where I got the ding.

Since its a gloss black finish, covering it with black permanent marker makes it almost invisible.

Top Bottom