Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Telecaster/Ukulele build...

It's a shame the pickup cavity is already routed.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/18515200...box-pickup-for

Great project, though: it combines two of my favourite things: Telecasters and ukuleles.
    --- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- ---
    Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
    Join the Vita ukulele group
    Join the Brüko ukulele owners group

Hey. I might try that out. Looks great. The pickup routing can be altered, it doesn't matter. It's all covered by the pickguard. I've carved my pickguards out of cheap 3 dollar craft plastic. If I find the perfect pickup I can always make a pickguard for that pickup.

Another option is the Almuse pickup. http://www.almuse.co.uk/mandolin_pickups.html

Found these too:
    http://sjryder.com/pricelist.htm#PICKUPS

All good options. Well, I've already got two to try out and I don't mind the over sized pickup.

That looks cool and I look forward to hearing how it sounds.
    Can you share where you got the tune-o-matic style bridge?

-Vinnie in Juneau

I ordered it from Tom at http://www.moongazermusic.com/

It's a lot like the old fender mandolin bridge from the 50s, but with 4 saddles. Also, he drilled it for a through the body string set up.

Vinnie,
    That's considered a string through bridge as opposed to a hardtail where the strings feed through the back of the bridge. A tun-o-matic bridge utilizes a tailpiece to anchor the strings. For what its worth, I build almost all the bridges that Tom sells. He makes a few from time to time when I get backlogged, but at the present time he is my sole distributor. Tom is a great guy and I've been trying to talk him into offering an electric uke kit but he just hasn't had the demand although he will do one upon request. There is one other fellow named John Mixon that recently started building short scale bridges. They are a bit pricey but very well done.

This reminds me of the little tele and strat guitars Stew Mac was selling 20 years ago. Great job--would love to hear what is sound like when your done.
    Steve
    Last edited by Flyfish57; 05-18-2010 at 04:28 PM. Reason: poor english

Reranch primer/sonicblue/tinted-clear arrived.

Andrew. You must have built this bridge. I love it. Can't wait to get it tuned up. I was hunting around for options, thinking I'd have to settle for a guitar bridge with two saddles removed, or a bass bridge with new string notches carved into the saddles, but then I was pointed toward your bridges by Paul Setzer. Great work. I only wish it had one of those old fashioned snap on bridge covers.

Yes, Paul has referred quite a few people to me for custom bridges. The bridge I made Paul was for a two saddle setup like the old Tele bridges. You can also get piezo saddles for those bridges if you ever decide to go back to nylon strings or a midi interface.

You can't go wrong with the Reranch products for one off instruments but I'd highly recommend that you shake them well before spraying. I used their seafoam green and the colors separated on the instrument. Be very diligent about keeping it mixed.

Thread Information