Anyone else use a Boss MicroBR

Don't have one but my wife has been wanting a small recorder she can carry with her. Did you do much comparison before buying the MicroBR?

We got one when we first started learning to play so we could "hear" what we sounded like. It was a sweet little recorder, and worked very well for us. We quit using it when we started doing video instead.

Don't have one but my wife has been wanting a small recorder she can carry with her. Did you do much comparison before buying the MicroBR?
I read round the subject before buying it and I was already using a Tascam Portastudio (cassette based 4 track) so I had a decent amount of knowledge about what I was looking for. I did not find anything which was a direct competitor at the same price.
It is the modern digital version of a 4 track cassette machine. You can record for hours onto a 1Gb SD card. You get 4 tracks to record on plus a seperate drum machine, which makes a 5th rhythm track. You can mix the tracks, pan them, add effects, master it, and turn the finished article into an MP3 track. Besides microphone and line in it also has a little condenser microphone on the unit which can record vocals and acoustic instruments. People on the MicroBR forum really rate the microphone. The qualtity of recording is really good.
You have to be good at reading manuals and complicated getting devices to work. It is not hard to use, but if you are not good at that, you would find it very frustrating. Imagine getting a camcorder and learning what all the functions do. Lots of poring over the manual.
Penster

I was already using a Tascam Portastudio (cassette based 4 track)
My wife and I bought the Portastudio 424 17 years ago when we got married. It does a good job as a desktop mixer now for the computer.

I bought the Boss Micro BR and anticipate it's a appealing air-conditioned little apparatus if you use it for what it is intended.I did not buy it as a trainer or an furnishings unit. It has abundant guitar sounds and a few bass sounds but modelling is not it's primary use.It is marketed as a mini,carriageable 4 clue recorder.

I bought a Micro BR a year and a half ago, used it to record the audio for my last Youtube video. It works ok for what it does, but there were a couple things that frustrated me:

1. It doesn't come with an AC adapter (gotta buy it separately) and the battery life isn't that great
2. The small compact size means that you have to run through a bunch of menus to adjust the settings; it works, but I'd rather have something with separate knobs for volume/pan/etc. (I knew this would be an issue before I bought it, but I figured I'd learn to deal with it and sacrifice a little bit of usability in favor of portability)

Again, it works for what it needs to do and the audio quality is pretty good, but I rarely ever use mine...whenever I want to do multi-track now days I just use my Zoom H2 and my laptop...YMMV

I have had one for about two years now.

CONs: As mentioned, the menus are pain. When working with stereo inputs, you're severely hampered by only being able to listen to two tracks at a time. The drums sound great, but with the limited selection you find yourself having to resort to external rhythm. Realize that this is designed to accommodate the electric guitarist singer/songwriter so uke players have to to make do and usually don't take advantage of all the features. You can only fit about 20 songs on a card at most.

PROs: Sound quality is top notch and the built in mic is decent enough that you probably won't need to resort to an external mic. The mixed tracks you can produce in the micro are really solid, though you get more flexibility when you export your tracks and mix in GarageBand or Audacity.

All that said, I don't use mine anymore. I use RecordStudio Pro and a TuneTalk mic on my iPhone. It records four stereo tracks and is extremely simple to use.

Top Bottom